Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Correction to Credit File?

(6 Posts)
MrsDoylesTeaMachine Fri 07-Feb-14 15:43:15

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice. I had some debt in the past - a few missed credit card payments - which I have now managed to pay off in full thankfully. I'm now getting on top of my finances, no outstanding debt of any kind, and have a regular savings account going, decent income etc.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my credit rating - I've read in a few places that I can ask the creditor to record on the file that the debt was paid in full, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

The default will stay on for 6 years regardless but it will show as paid in full.

To improve your score you can make sure you are on the electoral role, being at the same address an in the same job for prolonged periods help.
Other things to try are taking out a credit card, using it for a small amount each month and then making sure you pay the FULL balance before the bill date.

It will take time but doing these things will greatly improve your score.

MrsDoylesTeaMachine Fri 07-Feb-14 15:52:03

Thanks! How do you get a credit card with a poor credit rating, though? <clueless...>

You can get the "bad credit" credit cards, just make sure the full balance is paid each month or the interest will be astronomical-if you don't feel you'd be able to stick to it then do not get one as it would make things worse otherwise. Try to just spend £10-£20 on it each month and pay it off first thing on pay day.

MrsDoylesTeaMachine Fri 07-Feb-14 16:09:43

That's really helpful, thank you very much flowers. Feel mortified to have gotten into this situation as there was no need, but I'm doing my best to sort it out now.

If you get a credit card keep it on a cup of water in the freezer and take it out a week before pay day, use it for your milk/bread shop then put it back in-it will stop you using it for impulse buying smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now