Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Most Common Benefits

(5 Posts)
sophie12321 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:39:06

Hello, My partner and I both work, not on the best wages, and are expecting our first baby in July. We don't claim any benefits right now but want to know the main benefits which are usually open to most people? Can anyone help..where to start!??

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 14:43:29

Most benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit. At the moment you'd be able to claim:

child benefit

child tax credits
working tax credits

housing benefit (dependent on age)

council tax benefit.

All means tested.

sophie12321 Wed 05-Feb-14 15:00:22

Thank you. I will look into these. I get confused because although our wages aren't high by any means, we always seem to fall into some sort of category which doesn't allow us to claim.

Rockchick1984 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:10:29

What are your salaries now, and are you planning on returning to work full/part time or not returning?

Babyroobs Wed 05-Feb-14 23:02:32

The tax creit threshold for one child is around £26k so if you jointly earn more than that you won't get tax credits, just child benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now