Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

does anyone know anything about putting partners on car insurance as named driver when they already have a policy?

(7 Posts)
picklesauce Wed 05-Feb-14 03:22:37

Oops posted before I meant to - I will look into it in the morning, multicar sounds good and easier to have all in one place ! Thanks!

picklesauce Wed 05-Feb-14 03:18:58

Perfect thanks all!

specialsubject Tue 04-Feb-14 14:21:43

yes, in short. You are each the policy holder on one car and named on the other. This means you can both drive both cars, fully comp. It also means you both build no claims.

insurers will ask if the extra driver has use of another car. So you say yes, and that also helps to keep the premium down.

shop around every time at renewal - loyalty is for suckers.

SilverViking Tue 04-Feb-14 14:06:00

Your policy covers you and any named drivers to drive your car. It may allow you to drive another car that is already insured by someone else, but usually only with 3Rd party cover (ie not comprehensive) - but you need to check the wording on the insurance policy.
So to allow you to be covered on dp insurance to get comprehensive insurance, you need to be added as a named driver. And vice versa for him driving your car.
It won't cost much to add each other, since you both have cars with septate insurance (provided one of you is not high risk or has had a claim).

BrianButterfield Tue 04-Feb-14 13:59:00

We got a multi car policy so we're both insured on both cars - seemed the simplest and cheapest way to do it.

wannaBe Tue 04-Feb-14 13:52:13

yes you just add each other to existing policies. Your own policies are on your own vehicles therefore you name each other to drive each other's cars. hth.

picklesauce Tue 04-Feb-14 13:49:07

hello,

sorry for confusing title, just not really sure how to word it!

situation: dp and i both have fully comp car insurance with separate companies on separate cars where we can both only drive the car stated on the policy, so he can only drive his and i can only drive mine, both with separate insurers also. we are under 25 so think theyre a bit funny about letting you drive other cars so:

we are about to have a baby and really need to both be able to drive both cars as one is a tiny run around and one is a bigger family car - how do we go about this does anyone know?

do we need to add each other as a named driver to our policies? are we even allowed to do that if we already have an insurance policy on another car? or do we need to completely start again? so clueless!

sorry if this is confusing, I've tried to be as clear as possible but let me know if its making no sense!

thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now