Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SPREADSHEETS for : Debt Control, Budgeting, Mortgages etc

(50 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 03-Feb-14 19:52:21

The best way to get finances under control is to see what impact decisions will have.
But lots of people do not enjoy writing spreadsheets.
I do.

Credit Cards
If you pay the minimum on a credit card, it will take up to 18 years to pay off.
With a couple of really simple steps, you can clear those debts in a fraction of the time.
Input your numbers here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHRoTXA5Qnlld25UWkw1TEhZZk9IYVE&authkey=CMjc4JEB&authkey=CMjc4JEB#gid=0

Mortgages
Lots of people have mortgages where they are only paying the interest, without fully understanding that this means they are only really renting their home, rather than paying off the loan.
Have a look at the implications here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dDN4clg5OXhLMGJWbHZhOEo4UTJINEE#gid=0

Budgeting your income and expenditure
Its easy to firefight rather than plan when life gets tight.
This spreadsheet puts spending by order of necessity so makes it easier to see where you are
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dFRwOFJENmVzX1RHR05UMGtIYkltcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

All of the spreadsheets are a general resource - feel free to download them to your own computer and make use of them.

Please do not damage the master copies - but I do check them every week or so.

If there are any spreadsheets that you would like me to write, ask and I'll see what I can do.

As a slight aside, here is the link to my Ebay Me page all about the tax side of running a small business
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

TalkinPeace Tue 23-Dec-14 17:09:09

Seasonal fsmile bump for those feeling stressed about money at the Festive time of year

TalkinPeace Tue 11-Nov-14 12:09:53

Macarena
If you have the budget sheet downloaded to your machine you can do whatever you like with it :
I have the original and check the web version regularly

the mortgage and credit card ones are constantly updating as people play with their numbers

Wealldancelamacarena Tue 11-Nov-14 12:04:17

Hi there ! I have downloaded the spreadsheet for budget, how do I make sure I don't damage it ? Thank you Talkinpeace for showing me this thread. Dh and I are struggling with debt, we have a bit less than 30k to salvage. 15 k is a loan, the rest is credit cards. At the moment, I'm not earning that much but I will next year and I want to pay my debts as much as I can. That's the plan anyway but Dh and I are crap with money management (well I'm worst than he is) !

TalkinPeace Tue 11-Nov-14 07:32:11

Unintended consequences ....
www.fca.org.uk/news/fca-confirms-price-cap-rules-for-payday-lenders
LOTS of credit cards will fall under this if you only repay the minimum ....

TalkinPeace Thu 30-Oct-14 13:07:07

Hi Mojito
I think you'll need your own thread on this board for your post.

Are you aware how much tighter the mortgage rules are now?

You will not be able to borrow against the rising value of your home - because unless you are well inside the M25 it isn't rising.

Interest only mortgages no longer exist.

Asking to borrow long to pay school fees will not go down well.

I take it all of the shares are safely in an ISA or SIPP?

How much does a patio cost ?

Mine was under £1000 for 3m by 5m because I hired a whacker to level the ground and then laid 2 tonnes of sand and whacked that
and then laid bricks (all the odd ones bought cheap from the builders merchant and some freecycle ones) in a herring bone pattern.
Its 6 years old now and doing fine.

BUT
start a fresh thread as this one is mainly about the spreadsheets
smile TiP

Mojito100 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:59:59

Talkin - can you give me any wisdom/advice on what to do. I came into a small amount of money recently and have put it on my mortgage for the time being. I'm debating whether to install a patio (outside area) as we don't use ours much as summer is long and hot where I am. This means I will draw down on my mortgage from the recent money received. It would be wonderful from a lifestyle perspective to have a patio.

I can do this but do have some very high outgoings such as private school fees ( which are extortionate but important for me to do for my kids). I did remortgage late last year and am expecting to have to do that again in near future.

I am a sole parent with no maintenance from ex so all money in is through my hard work. I do have shares. I suppose the thought of having to ask for more money from bank to cover school fees is quite daunting. I'm 45 so could consider interest only for a few years.

It's so hard to know what to do with so many variables to consider. I'm hoping it is easier for someone not emotionally invested to provide me with thought provoking questions and advice that could help me decide.

CharlotteSimmons Wed 29-Oct-14 21:40:12

Thanks, I'll do this tomorrow

Mojito100 Wed 29-Oct-14 21:16:50

Marking place

TalkinPeace Wed 29-Oct-14 11:52:05

CharlotteSimmons
The numbers are just random ones
easiest is if you download it and then delete them and start fresh with your own
or if you are brave overtype on the live version : nobody else sees your name and I only do if I happen to be logged in and looking at it as you type

TalkinPeace Wed 29-Oct-14 11:50:03

In the Opening post I linked to my old Ebay "Me" page.
Ebay have deleted them all so I now have it stored here
talkinpeace2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/here-is-list-of-questions-i-most.html

TalkinPeace Wed 29-Oct-14 11:49:27

Charlotte
Just about to check it all....

CharlotteSimmons Sun 19-Oct-14 09:11:13

Hi Talkin I am keen to download the household budget one but it is filled in, so am not sure if rows have been deleted/altered. I know it's prob a pain, but could you link to a clean version - thanks!

TalkinPeace Thu 25-Sep-14 13:39:53

Bump for frolicacid

TalkinPeace Wed 27-Aug-14 22:10:54

PS
Please, please please
only type into the marked boxes - somebody had broken all three of them over the summer

NK5BM3 Wed 27-Aug-14 22:09:19

Thank you! Marking it now...

TalkinPeace Wed 27-Aug-14 22:06:11

bump for the end of the summer holidays

TalkinPeace Thu 17-Jul-14 18:22:01

another shameless bump to get this to the top of the board for new readers

TalkinPeace Sat 07-Jun-14 21:25:14

gratuitous bump so that newcomers can find them quickly

TalkinPeace Fri 16-May-14 18:14:41

for the amusement of all, I've just put my own bills and mortgage in there

TalkinPeace Sun 11-May-14 17:14:35

Bumping for the new people to the boards ....

set up that standing order tonight : play the banks at their own game

Apatite1 Sat 26-Apr-14 23:21:41

Talkingpeace, thanks very much for the mortgage one. Real eye opener!

TalkinPeace Sat 19-Apr-14 12:51:11

Hi there,

The credit card and mortgage ones ....
just put your numbers into the boxes at the top - your last year's mortgage statement will have the info you need if you do not know it
yes, of course yuou can save them to your own PC - just do "save as" and designate your own download folder

the budget one
best thing is to download it and have a play - all of the formulae in it are very straightforward
(unlike the other two!)

Talkin, please could you talk a dense MNetter through how to use these? I really like them, and want to see where my money goes each month but I don't understand how to use them. Can I save them to my computer? Sorry for being so IT illiterate ...

TalkinPeace Fri 18-Apr-14 13:12:40

back to page one for people looking at their finances over easter

Marking
(Can't find them if I watch thread on app)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now