Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SPREADSHEETS for : Debt Control, Budgeting, Mortgages etc

(96 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 03-Feb-14 19:52:21

The best way to get finances under control is to see what impact decisions will have.
But lots of people do not enjoy writing spreadsheets.
I do.

Credit Cards
If you pay the minimum on a credit card, it will take up to 18 years to pay off.
With a couple of really simple steps, you can clear those debts in a fraction of the time.
Input your numbers here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHRoTXA5Qnlld25UWkw1TEhZZk9IYVE&authkey=CMjc4JEB&authkey=CMjc4JEB#gid=0

Mortgages
Lots of people have mortgages where they are only paying the interest, without fully understanding that this means they are only really renting their home, rather than paying off the loan.
Have a look at the implications here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dDN4clg5OXhLMGJWbHZhOEo4UTJINEE#gid=0

Budgeting your income and expenditure
Its easy to firefight rather than plan when life gets tight.
This spreadsheet puts spending by order of necessity so makes it easier to see where you are
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dFRwOFJENmVzX1RHR05UMGtIYkltcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

All of the spreadsheets are a general resource - feel free to download them to your own computer and make use of them.

Please do not damage the master copies - but I do check them every week or so.

If there are any spreadsheets that you would like me to write, ask and I'll see what I can do.

As a slight aside, here is the link to my Ebay Me page all about the tax side of running a small business
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

Hi
Im trying to use the credit card spreadsheet and have filled in the highlighted boxes but then nothing happens?

am I supposed to do something else?

thanks

TaIkinPeace Wed 20-Jul-16 21:30:45

Hi there :
the links in the OP are always to the current versions.
Its a google drive document that can be used online or downloaded.

I as the author can track who has altered the live one (to check for damage) but if you download they are all yours.

isthistoonosy Wed 20-Jul-16 08:33:31

Hi Do I use the links in the OP to download the newest versions or should I be looking through the thread for the most recent versions?

Thanks by the way TiP

TaIkinPeace Sun 17-Jul-16 18:14:04

Hi Barmaid
Scroll right ... column O has Repayment in it smile

Barmaid101 Sun 17-Jul-16 15:43:04

hi TIP, is the mortgage budget sheet only for interest only mortgages as that is what it says in the top left corner, i am on a repayment mortgage and i cant figure out the sheet. I have downloaded and saved the one in the opening post, and it has interest only mortgage at the top left.
Thanks so much for these resources. I am about to do the budget one

Barmaid101 Sun 17-Jul-16 15:17:41

Just what I have been after! Trying to set up a budget at the mo!

TaIkinPeace Tue 12-Jul-16 15:10:46

yet another shameless bump for those dreading the summer holidays

tropical1 Sat 05-Mar-16 19:58:19

Thank you so much for these TalkinPeace, it made me realize just how long it would take me to pay off my credit card by just paying the minimum.
I've been paying over the minimum every month and it's really making a difference 😊😊

cozietoesie Fri 04-Mar-16 18:30:08

Well done, Talkin. smile

TalkinPeace Fri 04-Mar-16 16:43:16

just bringing the sheets back up to date and up to the top

t875 Wed 27-Jan-16 08:57:45

Bump great idea

BramblePie Tue 19-Jan-16 15:22:11

Thanks!

TalkinPeace Sun 17-Jan-16 16:24:13

Budget sheet amended to have one page working by week, other page by month.
Its free to download to your machine and re-label to your heart's desire

Ta1kinPeese Sun 17-Jan-16 14:39:18

Bramble
I'll try to repair it - but if in doubt download it and build a personalised version.

sarb
AS Hefzi says, hit the highest interest rate first.

I'm on Mumsnet sabattical till the tax return deadline by the way :-)

hefzi Sat 16-Jan-16 20:15:34

Sarb prioritise whatever has the highest interest rate. If you've already helped your husband pay off his CC debt more than once, it's probably not a good idea to remortgage and consolidate, as that will make it easier to happen again.

BramblePie Mon 11-Jan-16 14:52:23

I cant work out the Budgeting your income and expenditure sheet. When I click the link it come sup saying "wow who messed up the sheet" and there's someone else' figures in the boxes :s

MrsDaDeDee Fri 08-Jan-16 22:43:03

Thanks so much for these Talkin!smile

Sarb81 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:13:20

Talking each
I have a few questions re. repaying CCs, OD and store cards. Really don't know which to prioritise and whether I should just remortgage and consolidate or set up fixed payments. I'm feeling a bit foggy headed as found out husband has acquired £9k on a CC that I've already helped him to pay off twice before. He's not a bad person just really really crap with money confused

Ta1kinPeece Tue 22-Dec-15 12:17:07

Bump for UndramaticPause
and anybody else who had to sit down when they read their credit card bill

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 17:05:18

Hi Fusion
The left hand set is raw repayments ....
the next set across is repaying the interest and some capital
the right hand set is a proper repayment mortgage

if you have an IO and pay off capital you need to be averaging enough to clear it by the end of the term (or before)

FusionChefGeoff Thu 22-Oct-15 17:01:33

These have inspired me to check all our 'stuff' but I started with the mortgage spreadsheet and am not sure I've done it right / understand the point right!

If we make additional repayments on top of the interest only mortgage payments that will mean that the balance reduces - therefore, so does the interest but your repayment columns just show the interest fixed?

TalkinPeece Wed 14-Oct-15 16:55:09

updated spreadsheet just for dietcherrycola

TalkinPeece Sat 03-Oct-15 20:53:48

PS
a couple of people have recently accidentally broken the sheets
BUT
have been polite and helpful enough to let me know by PM so that I can do swift repairs before anybody else notices

PLEASE
feel free to use the sheet and if you do make a mess up, let me know and I'll gladly sort it

and I'll get the hang of the new Google Docs algorithm soon grin
:-)
TiP

Ta1kinPeace Fri 02-Oct-15 13:11:41

NB : Credit card sheet is playing silly beggars with its percentages.

Interest rate : for 8% you need to key in 0.08 .... for 17% you need to key in 0.17

Minimum percentage will almost always be between 3% (0.03) and 10% (0.10)
Minimum amount is usually between £5 and £10

I'll have a proper session of updating it to the latest google algorithm this weekend

Cheers
TiP

Ta1kinPeace Thu 17-Sep-15 13:49:13

I am aware that I need to lock the percentage buttons on both the mortgage and card sheets : make sure that the rate is showing as a percentage to get sensible figures

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now