Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SPREADSHEETS for : Debt Control, Budgeting, Mortgages etc

(37 Posts)
TalkinPeace Mon 03-Feb-14 19:52:21

The best way to get finances under control is to see what impact decisions will have.
But lots of people do not enjoy writing spreadsheets.
I do.

Credit Cards
If you pay the minimum on a credit card, it will take up to 18 years to pay off.
With a couple of really simple steps, you can clear those debts in a fraction of the time.
Input your numbers here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHRoTXA5Qnlld25UWkw1TEhZZk9IYVE&authkey=CMjc4JEB&authkey=CMjc4JEB#gid=0

Mortgages
Lots of people have mortgages where they are only paying the interest, without fully understanding that this means they are only really renting their home, rather than paying off the loan.
Have a look at the implications here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dDN4clg5OXhLMGJWbHZhOEo4UTJINEE#gid=0

Budgeting your income and expenditure
Its easy to firefight rather than plan when life gets tight.
This spreadsheet puts spending by order of necessity so makes it easier to see where you are
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dFRwOFJENmVzX1RHR05UMGtIYkltcWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

All of the spreadsheets are a general resource - feel free to download them to your own computer and make use of them.

Please do not damage the master copies - but I do check them every week or so.

If there are any spreadsheets that you would like me to write, ask and I'll see what I can do.

As a slight aside, here is the link to my Ebay Me page all about the tax side of running a small business
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace

Mum2Fergus Mon 03-Feb-14 21:21:58

Fab resources TiP...well done, and thanks!

smile

GingerMaman Tue 04-Feb-14 11:50:27

This is seriously fab! Thanks so much! smile

DipMeInChocolate Tue 04-Feb-14 12:55:29

I use a cashflow forecast similar to your income budget. Less comprehensive though, good spreadsheets. Could you save them as read-only so they are not altered unless someone wants to save their copy on their pc.

TalkinPeace Tue 04-Feb-14 18:16:21

Dipmein
No I want people to change them - to password them as read only - because of the way google docs works - would block the formulae

and they only take me a minute or so to correct each week

TalkinPeace Mon 10-Feb-14 14:19:53

Bump for Foureyedfox and kinkydorito

Guerrillacrochet Wed 12-Feb-14 07:35:30

Wow, what a lovely, helpful thing to do. Thank you.

tinyturtletim Fri 14-Feb-14 18:55:20

Do I download onto my own pc? Or do it through that

TalkinPeace Fri 14-Feb-14 19:03:28

the credit card ones are easiest to just fill in the boxes and it saves it in the drive till the next person puts in their data , but you are welcome to download

the budget one is easiest to download

I'm working on an endowments one at the moment

TheBakeryQueen Sat 15-Feb-14 08:09:55

Wow, they are brilliant, thank you. Have forwarded to my XP who is permanently broke as he spends all his money on takeaways. He never seems to understand living within your means. He looks at his bank account at any given day & thinks the balance is his money to spend, never taking into account bills that need to be paid later in the month.

dippingmytoeinagain Wed 19-Feb-14 16:51:41

Thank you, these look great, will be giving the income/expenditure one a try smile

TalkinPeace Sat 22-Feb-14 18:01:21

Endowment spreadsheet : first version is now live

please test and feed back
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZqlQ7-gn07dHpPa0d6OWoxRE1sTmZWT0RFOXZfSlE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

TalkinPeace Fri 28-Feb-14 18:30:58

bumping to link with the new debt support thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2011878-Debt-support-thread-2

TalkinPeace Tue 11-Mar-14 17:50:13

bump for Rowan thanks

BitsinTatters Tue 11-Mar-14 17:55:52

Fantastic resources for people overwhelmed by budgeting

Well done OP

TalkinPeace Fri 14-Mar-14 19:21:52

Rowan : ready for you ....

Thank you for guiding me here tip, will look at these later.

Pannacotta Thu 20-Mar-14 13:37:46

These are great, thanks OP.
I am one of those people who is not bad with money but overwhelmed by budgeting.
Do you have any suggestions to arrive at the monthly figures for the non essential spending?
I need to work this out for divorce settlement but unsure how to translate my notebook of spending into a monthly figure, if that makes sense (I make a note of what I spend every day but unsure what to do next!)

LyndaCartersBigPants Thu 20-Mar-14 14:53:24

Talkin, thanks for those, really helpful. I have to pop out now, but will study them later.

One thing I found when doing a budget was that my bills go out on a calendar month basis, but my income (tax credits, child benefit) arrives in cribs and drabs at 4 weekly intervals or monthly (wages, maintenance) so I either had to pick one or the other.

In the end I made a graph myself, showing money in and out, ups and downs throughout the month. I haven't checked these yet, but that's something that is rare to find so if you can include that facility it would be great.

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Mar-14 18:00:07

Pannacotta
Download the weekly one to your own computer
then start typing your numbers in for each week - the pattern will soon emege

Pannacotta Thu 20-Mar-14 20:24:23

Talk do you mean the third spreadsheet and just add a column for weekly spending?
Sorry if that is dense, am not used to Excel, bit of a technophobe!

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Mar-14 21:07:07

whoops, somebody has vandalised the monthly one .... I'll reload it in a few minutes

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Mar-14 21:18:14

mended version
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-H-XULWnMlcf1nV8fXNbtz9p-5c44vwfUOFDbGzTu8/edit?pli=1#gid=1790786598

I need to work on the cell protection
please do NOT delete columns - download to your machine and then play with it

Pannacotta Thu 20-Mar-14 22:21:15

Thanks, looks really useful!

TalkinPeace Thu 03-Apr-14 16:50:58

Bump for newcomers to the board

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now