Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Text message scam

(14 Posts)
WelshMoth Mon 03-Feb-14 17:07:32

I have not checked my phone usage For the last 3 months, but today I can see that I am paying double my usual £25 a month fee to orange. I telephoned them and asked them to query my usage. The CA indeed confirmed that I am under my allocated talk time, texts and internet usage. The cost is coming from a company called Ericsson (not related to Sony) who are...

<takes breath>

... Charging me near £4 for every text they send me. I am occasionally sent unwanted texts, but was advised to not respond or otherwise I'd face charges. So I deleted them. Turns out that I was being charged anyway.

I am beyond angry. i have no idea how this has happened. I have not signed up for any thing to my knowledge.

I have the company's contact nymber, but I want to arm myself as much as possible before getting furious with them. The orange CA reckons I could chase for a refund....

Please help and advise me. I'm not very clued up on these things, I admit.

This happened to my sons phone. It was a contract in my name but for his use. He was charged over £100 in a month for messages received. I had no luck getting the company to refund but told orange that I wouldn't be paying it as it was a scam and only place they could have got his number was from orange. They did eventually credit my account.

VivienStanshall Mon 03-Feb-14 17:12:32

It's not for you to try to get a refund from these scam merchants.

You tell Orange to do this or you'll report them to Ofcom for allowing unauthorised charges on your bill.

WelshMoth Mon 03-Feb-14 17:13:51

I've just rang the number and got through to a company called CONSUMER CARE. It was all automated, saying that I could leave a voicemail with my number in order to unsubscribe, but no way of speaking to someone.

WelshMoth Mon 03-Feb-14 17:17:33

Blimey. And there was me thanking the Orange CA for giving me the number to phone in the first place.

So I call orange back?

VivienStanshall Mon 03-Feb-14 17:18:02

You haven't subscribed Welsh Moth, don't waste your time with the thieves, go for Orange who have let them do it. They know damn well that they're scammers but would rather you waste your time chasing fruitlessly somebody else.

VivienStanshall Mon 03-Feb-14 17:19:11

Yes, call Orange back.

But before you do have a google to see where you stand or they will just fob you off again.

"There's nothing we can do". Yes there is.

WelshMoth Mon 03-Feb-14 20:00:17

Blimey - and to think I was 'grateful' for Orange passing me a contact number...angry

Thanks Vivien - am off to do some research first. Want to be prepared.

MarshaBrady Mon 03-Feb-14 20:04:18

That is very bad. Hope Orange get the refund for you.

WelshMoth Sun 09-Feb-14 08:46:14

I've spoken three times to Orange now, each advisor giving a different story. Blaming me, blaming it on the fact that I wasn't paying iTunes (this is lies, I'm linked to iTunes with a debit card and am fortunate in that I only EVER download a song here and there, NEVER anything else and I have texts from iTunes to confirm payment).

Finally the advisor said that she was angry with the previous advisor (?!) for giving misinformation saying that Id been scammed. Lots of giggling that I felt uncomfortable with then she relented and said that she'd help me find contact details of the company involved and call me back Friday.

Still waiting.

In the meantime, I have had yet another text from the scam costing me another £4.50. This time, against advice I have opened it, text STOP to the number and am still awaiting confirmation that it has indeed stopped.

Company is called KKO Mobile MYDOO and there's an interesting g thread of other people being scammed online.

I am complete ashamed to admit that this has probably been for the last 6 months at least (I have been very distracted and not been checking bills, accounts etc - my actual
Phone usage is so low that I assumed stupidly that I knew what my phone expenses were sad) so the amount taken by this Scam could be a lot more than I imagined.

The article states that a few people pinpointed the scam from a flashlight app, which I use. Either that it Orange have sold my details onto a 3rd partysad.

Help me plan my next move please - I really don't know what to do.

WelshMoth Sun 09-Feb-14 08:47:29

Needless to say, I have deleted the flashlight app immediately.

EduCated Sun 09-Feb-14 09:28:09

This isn't the first time I've heard of a scam related to a flashlight app. Hope you get it sorted, so frustrating that people can do this sort of stuff!

WelshMoth Sun 09-Feb-14 09:54:35

I just want the guarantee that it's stopped.
I also want my money back but don't know how to go about getting it.
Orange, it must be said, have been no help at all.

Whatnamenext Sun 09-Feb-14 11:25:25

Have you checked Martin Lewis's website?

There's usually good advice on there.

I've always found Orange to be shit. Really awful with any problems. Can't wait to leave.

I'm fucked off that I did a donation text to UNICEF last month. They now call me daily. That'll be the last donation I make like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now