Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Lone parent,on benefits. Been offered an exhibition-should it be declared?

(6 Posts)
pod3030 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:53:40

I am a Lone parent of a 2 yr old, claiming income support, child tax credit, and housing benefit after being left with nothing as house etc all in ex p's name.

My hobby is painting/art, and i have been offered a proper exhibition at an art gallery, where my work would be for sale.It would be a one off thing, for a month.
Is this classed as work? I'm not in a position to go self employed yet (though that is the long term goal for something else entirely)
What do I need to declare, if anything, and does anyone know how it will affect my benefits. thanks

RussianBlu Sun 02-Feb-14 23:49:21

I suppose you wouldn't need to say anything unless you actually earned any money but then if you did earn over what you receive in say income support then it may cause problems in that you might not be entitled anymore and then have to start a new claim?

AwkwardSquad Mon 03-Feb-14 19:32:46

Not sure about declaring it, don't know enough about the system, but if you do declare, make sure it's only for any earnings over and above your costs (in other words your net profit). How have you decided on your prices? Do you keep receipts for materials and other expenses?

FloweryFeatureWall Tue 04-Feb-14 12:54:12

You need to declare any income made on things produced with the intention to sell.

WanderingAway Tue 04-Feb-14 17:56:09

I would declare it.

I had to tell them when i began volunteering so it isnt just about the money you would be getting.

Viviennemary Tue 04-Feb-14 21:23:13

If this can be seen as a commercial venture then it would have to be declared. I think one or two paintings in an exhibition would be fine but a lot of paintings in a gallery for the purpose of selling would have to be declared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now