Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Buying a 'New Build' home

(25 Posts)
boogagirl Sat 01-Feb-14 23:15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IDoBelieveInFairiesIDoIDo Sat 01-Feb-14 23:23:28

In my experience the 'From' price is the price of the cheapest plot / house on the estate. Often this will include a possible but hypothetical discount I.e. shared equity price.

If the market is moving and improving in your area is say they Are unlikely to be open to offers.

Sorry.

RhondaJean Sat 01-Feb-14 23:29:21

Taylor wimpy are such a big company too.

If they've just started a new development they will be reasonably confident they will sell at the prices they advertise.

Possibly when there are one or two left they might negotiate a little bit just to get cleared of the development more quickly if they have already made their money there, but I wouldn't count on it.

However it would do no harm to go to the sales office once it opens and ask if there is room to negotiate. The staff there are usually from an estate agent and will act as a broker for you, there's nothing lost from asking.

It won't be a big discount at any point if you do get one though - unless the market collapses again like happened in Ireland.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 01-Feb-14 23:30:33

We went into the sales office thinking we could make a silly offer on a new build.

The sales woman nearly laughed us out of the office, then told us that the first phase of the development was sold out... This was before they had even laid a single brick down yet... but she would add us to the list of hundreds of people who were interested when the second phase was released.

So in my experience there's no chance of an offer being accepted. And like the PP said, the 'from' price will be the smallest house on the smallest plot on the whole estate. Our house ended up costing 45k more than the 'from' price.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 01-Feb-14 23:37:15

Just to add as well, our builders wouldn't even let us reserve a plot until we proved that we had an offer on our own house that was proceeding to sale.

Whatnamenext Sat 01-Feb-14 23:40:03

We've just bought a Taylor Wimpey Home - part exd on previous smaller home.

No deal to be had really. Have heard it's already increased in value and we've only been here 5minutes shock

boogagirl Sat 01-Feb-14 23:41:04

boogagirl Sun 02-Feb-14 00:01:59

ButICantaloupe Sun 02-Feb-14 00:10:36

I suppose it depends on the development. When I was looking at new builds a few months ago everyone I met the sales office said that there was room for negotiation. There were 3 TW developments in close proximity of each other so I imagine that had something to do with it.

boogagirl Sun 02-Feb-14 00:14:12

Only1scoop Sun 02-Feb-14 00:15:59

Yes lots of bargaining to be done with a new build. My present new build we got 20,000 off advertised price and asked for loads to be done/thrown in. Got most of it smile
We were in a great position to be fair ready to move.

Alfiecat Sun 02-Feb-14 00:17:16

We got a discount on our new build Taylor Wimpey home. It was on at £188k and we got it for £175k. Also got lots of extra fixtures and fittings negotiated into the price. It's always worth asking. Depends on how well the houses are selling.

Ask for a discount, you might not get it but they might be able to include some extras (carpets, security system etc.) for free.

When we bought our house we got a small discount initially. Then we waited the 6 months for them to build it, only for our buyer to suddenly drop the price by £2K. We were cash strapped by this stage but the builders of our new house agreed to reduce their price by £1K so the deal could go ahead.

boogagirl Sun 02-Feb-14 00:21:16

Alfiecat Sun 02-Feb-14 00:23:51

Our extras were carpets, lawn laid, extra large terrace, extra shower over the bath and bath tiled up to the ceiling, a burglar alarm, electric lights and sockets in garage, outside lights, tv points in each bedroom, garden double fenced, integrated dishwasher and fridge and stainless steel oven and hob. All included in the price.

So don't just ask for a lower price, ours was in South Wales too. Also look up what the neighbours have paid on nethouseprices.com if some houses have already sold.

boogagirl Sun 02-Feb-14 00:28:08

IDoBelieveInFairiesIDoIDo Sun 02-Feb-14 21:51:40

Yes I should say I did manage to get free carpets put in.

Alfiecat Sun 02-Feb-14 23:46:07

Yes Boogagirl, they prefer adding extras as they are not shown in the nethouseprices.com website so the houses look like they have sold for more than they really did. Forgot to mention we got £1000 cash back too. Definitely looks like you can do a deal, the house prices here have not gone up at all so would make it clear to them you know what the others paid and you are not willing to pay any more than they did and you want extras thrown in too. If they don't have to ask the manager and get back to you then you have not gone low enough.

PervyMuskrat Mon 03-Feb-14 19:48:17

I used to work for a house builder and discounts were generally assumed to be a given (unless the development was already fully sold off plan).

My tips would be to always offer 10% - 15% under the asking price and also to go in at the end of the month when the sales team need to make their targets. If you can go at the end of the financial year (or half year), even better.

sunnyfriday Mon 03-Feb-14 21:09:18

I think it depends - we bought just weeks before the end of the financial year and builder was very eager to sell the house. we negitiated 15% of the list price. the builder would not give a bigger discount so we negotiated other things as freebees which wouls have cost us otherwise - we got the freehold (all the other houses in our estate were sold as leasehold), bugler larm system for free, and washing machine and a freezer thrown in.

Moggy72 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:12:36

Recently bought a Taylor wimpy and got about 5 percent discount with an options voucher (for carpets etc) thrown in.
Definitely worth asking. Also you should look into govt he'll to buy scheme for new builds.

Moggy72 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:12:59

I meant govt help to buy

rpitchfo Mon 03-Feb-14 22:24:21

my brother has recently got 15k off a house priced at 140k...i got 7k off a house valued at 125k a few years ago.

These were the last few remaining houses though and they just wanted them sold.

I'm looking to sell now but i think ill struggle to get 125k again.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Mon 03-Feb-14 22:29:25

We part ex'ed, got 10k of the new house with carpets and curtains thrown in so it's always worth a try.

FadBook Mon 03-Feb-14 22:36:50

We only got £3k knocked off asking price but also got:

- about 5k more for our house (part ex)
- 1% of the 3% stamp duty paid (£1900 approx)
- carpets throughout
- £500 cash back on completion
- turfed back garden
- fancy tiles in kitchen

Our neighbours got a marble work top instead of a electrical package they were offered (ps2, tv, DVD etc). We also have had quite a bit upgraded once we moved in (for free). It's surprising what a decent bottle of whisky and a crate of beer for the site manager and his workers does wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now