Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

State Pension and still claiming child benefit and child tax credits! Advice needed.

(8 Posts)
triplets Fri 31-Jan-14 22:57:13

Hi I can`t believe I am talking about me but I am! Just rec`d a letter to say from the 6th March I can now claim my state pension, at 61 yrs and 11 months! Seems only yesterday I got my first pay packet! Some of you may know me, I had triplets just before my 46th birthday, so I am in the unusual position of still being entitled to child benefit plus tax credits. I need to find out how it will affect those two incomes if I take my pension, as I can defer it. I am guessing that even if its deferred it will count as an income and would have to be declared? Can`t believe I am old enough.................scary where the time has gone to.........

AmIatwat Sat 01-Feb-14 21:11:55

Same thing with my late Aunt 48 and was getting state pension and Child benefit.
I don't know how it will affect you pension, Go onto Gov.com for advise, triplets at 46, that is amazing.
If you have time make an appointment with Citizens advice. xx

Woah, no advice regarding pension or tax credit but triplets at 46! Muchos respect to you, you should write a book grin flowers wine

triplets Sat 01-Feb-14 21:55:11

I have been told that many times, life was good until June 94, then my world was turned upside down, but I have survived. Good idea about CAB smile

Kaza1 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:28:37

Hi triplets you could defer your pension & it wouldnt b counted as income for child benefit or tax credits....however if ur on pension credit/income support then it is treated as notional income. Did u receive ur invite to claim? Should b info on deferring buy if in doubt phone pension centre up & they'll advise u xx

triplets Tue 04-Feb-14 22:48:48

Thanks Kaza, no we are not on any benefits, we live on my dh`s pensions. Tried to phone them today but kept waiting and waiting so gave up!

Kaza1 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:24:52

I wouldn't bother today systems down xx

triplets Sun 02-Mar-14 22:11:01

Did manage to speak to advisers, they said that if I defer it it won`t affect my ct credit for this year but it would for next year. The income from the state pension would be £800 more than the allowance of £5000? Going to see if I can manage without it, it would be a good way to save!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now