Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much are your bills

(13 Posts)
Nicole3291 Thu 23-Jan-14 23:13:49

I was wondering if people could let me know how much their bills are per month. Me, boyfriend and bump are looking to move out and I am just trying to make sure we stay living within our means.

If anyone in a similar situation ( 2 adult and a baby) could let me know how much they send on average on water, gas, electric and ANY other bills it would be really helpful.
B/F earns £22000pa and we would be entitled to help of £1560 pa.

Rent or a mortgage on a help to buy scheme would be £760 per month in our town in a bit of a rubbish area and council tax is £1,296.40 pa for the same area.

Thank you smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 24-Jan-14 10:30:26

It rather depends on the size of your house and your lifestyle. My 3-bed semi containing one adult and one adult-sized teen costs...
- Water £19/month (metered)
- Gas and Electricity combined £115
- Council tax Band F with single person discount £157/month (10 months)
- Telephone/broadband/TV package - about £50/month
- Insurance (house, contents, plumbing, drains, appliances etc) £50/month

You'd have to add any car/transport costs, mobile phone contracts and other regular outgoings.

luvfizz Thu 30-Jan-14 19:17:45

4 bed house in Surrey
Water £50
Council Tax £224
Gas/Elec £150
Sky - £47
BT - £40

Plus so many other outgoings....

dizhin79 Mon 03-Feb-14 07:08:08 £120 ish pm
Electricity £27 pm
oil (not in mains gas) £300 for 500L this lasts about 4-6 months
water £12 pm (cess pit couple of hundred pounds every couple of years)
phone /broadband £27 pm
but also think about mobiles, tv packages like net flix, car insurance, home insurance, any existing debt, savings, subscriptions for things....

specialsubject Mon 03-Feb-14 17:48:50


council tax
electricity/gas/oil (whichever you have - costs depend on lifestyle and insulation of property)
insurance - buildings and contents, also life once baby arrives (boyfriend goes under a bus and you have no income, you go under a bus and he has no childcare)
property maintenance - boiler, drains, roof, everything else
furniture and house kit (ebay, charity shops etc)
travel - fares or car purchase (never have finance on a car, pissing money away), insurance, tax, fuel, fixes, breakdown cover
internet (pretty much essential now)
clothing - most adults don't need much. Baby gear can all be second hand (as can EVERYTHING except car seat and cot mattress, and TBH if you find an honest seller the car seat can be second-hand if in good nick)
PAYG mobile

TV licence - if you watch live stuff on any device
Sky etc big luxury
landline phone (handy though)

...everything else!

TinyDiamond Mon 03-Feb-14 20:22:24

2 bed flat midlands.

rent 550
c tax 110
gas and elec 200
water 10
contents insurance 20 (your insurance will be more if you own)
pet insurance 10
phone and internet and tv 30
tv licence cant remember but about 8-10
my mobile 27

TinyDiamond Mon 03-Feb-14 20:23:16

sorry water is more like 18 not 10 pcm

SandyChick Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:46

3 bed semi detached. 2 adults 2 small kids.

Council tax 120
Gas & electric 125 (covers what we use annually)
Water 40 (metered)
Building & contents insurance 30
Food 350 inc nappies
Tv licence 12

Also pay mortgage, car tax, car insurance, sky tv, broadband & line rental, mobile phones, white goods insurance etc on top too but above costs are just the essentials.

MadameJosephine Tue 04-Feb-14 18:39:26

Mortgage 800
Gas and electric 100
Council tax 120
Phone/broadband 30
Tv licence 12
Water 30
Insurance (life/illness/building/contents) 100

So essential bills total about £1200 but then we have car and travel costs and mobile phone bills on top of that

Slh122 Thu 06-Feb-14 09:59:39

We have a 2 bed flat and there's me and DP with a baby.
Rent - 525
Council tax - 120
Car finance - 204
Car insurance - 62
Sky (phone, Internet, tv) - 67
TV licence - I pay 37 every quarter, so about 12 a month
Gas and electric - 55
Water - 17
Credit card - 120

Then we have petrol, food, nappies, savings etc.

Mandy21 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:37:44

If you have a mortgage, then you need life insurance to cover the mortgage payments.

Mortgage : too much
Life insurance : �120month
Council tax : �160mth
Gas & Electricity combined : �100mth
Water : �43month
Landline & broadband (need for work) : �25month
Car insurance (2 cars) : �110mth
Home & buildings insurance : �18month
TV licence :�12month (but taken quarterly)

If you're signing up for a house purchase, consider what you can afford now, and what you can afford in say 3 years time. What is the mortgage repayment based on? What if interest rates change? You also need to budget for childcare unless you're planning on one of you being at home. Also, whilst I don't necessarily recommend accident / sickness / mortgage protection, you need to think about how you would cover the mortgage payments if your boyfriend was sick / involved in an accident and couldn't work for a period of time.

Mine are:
Rent 525
Electric 53
Council Tax 112
Car insurance 26
Broadband/BT line 25
Water (included in rent)

Are you up North at all? There are some very nice little houses in towns round here at VERY cheap prices...

MissWimpyDimple Sat 08-Feb-14 17:26:07

2 bed flat

Rent 850
Council tax 100
Water 33
Leccy and gas 64
TV license 12
Insurance 20
Broadband/phone/tv 45

Life ain't cheap round these parts...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now