Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Forgot to cancel trail month of amazon prime!!

(25 Posts)
EmGee Wed 22-Jan-14 13:03:41

I emailed them. So angry at myself! I just noticed 49 quid on my credit card. Do you think they will refund it/cancel the membership???

abear Wed 22-Jan-14 13:05:58

I think they will. I had it for one year and forgot to cancel for the next year. You have to be persistent but I got my money back in the end. I think the first e-mail said no but then I spoke to someone on the phone and got it resolved.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Wed 22-Jan-14 13:10:14

They will refund as long as you havent used prime after the payment has gone through. Just google amazon prime amd gp tp your account, there is a cancel button. I got a refund immediately

BeCool Wed 22-Jan-14 18:26:22

I got caught by this as the one month free trial expired 29th Dec and I hadn't a clue.

I called them (using the call me feature) and they didn't hesitate to refund me immediately - I hadn't used it though.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Wed 22-Jan-14 18:28:44

I did this too and was refunded. I think MoneySavingExpert tells you how to get a refund.

Chopstheduck Wed 22-Jan-14 18:33:38

do the online chat thing, saves you calling, and like others have said they are very good.

BeCool Wed 22-Jan-14 18:37:49

you don't have to call them - you simply enter your number and they call you straight away

specialsubject Wed 22-Jan-14 21:22:37

phone up and ask nicely, or get them to call you. Loads of people have done this and got refunded.

they've had lots of bad publicity over it.

So glad I saw this. Forgot to cancel my trial and noticed on 16 jan that should have done it on 14 th - felt sick smile. Decided only way to cope was to buy something with prime to make me feel I was getting my money's worth! Luckily I didn't, saw this, cancelled and emailed them asking for a refund. They replied within an hour or two saying they would. So pleasedgrin.thanks everyone.

BeCool Thu 23-Jan-14 10:54:53

that's fantastic NoSpringFlower

EmGee Thu 23-Jan-14 13:56:24

Update - following my email to amazon yesterday I see that my membership has been cancelled (got no response to my email though) but no refund...yet. I think I had better contact them to make sure I get the refund or I will be 49 quid out of pocket as well as no prime membership!

WipsGlitter Thu 23-Jan-14 13:58:44

I got mine a few days later.

EmGee Thu 23-Jan-14 14:05:59

Just did the chat thing and the refund will go through in next couple of days. Phew!!

ChocolateWombat Fri 24-Jan-14 11:05:17

It's pretty decent customer service isn't it. After all, they rely on people forgetting and we are told the terms and conditions in advance,miso they would be within rights to refuse a refund. Guess the good experience makes us more likely to buy from Amazon and to try Prime later. They judge it worthwhile to give you a refund ....and they are probably right. Don't think you could ask twice though!!

DameDeepRedBetty Fri 24-Jan-14 11:21:21

I've just cancelled mine using the Chat service (I had a person called Yamini responding) and it was all done and dusted in under five minutes.

Absolutely brilliant customer service and will definitely be remembered and talked about with others!

BeCool Fri 24-Jan-14 14:52:43

Yes I thought it was good customer service initially.

But actually the whole thing is dodgy. You sign up for a free trial and after 30 days, without further notice or contact they take payment.

They could write and say "did you enjoy trial? Sign up here". They Don't.

And we feel grateful and impressed when they refund on request. Come on!!!! How many people don't want it but won't ask for refund, or don't notice payment taken. This works out VERY well for Amazon no doubt.

Beware the misplaced gratitude towards super-corporations.

BeCool Fri 24-Jan-14 14:53:51

Super corps who have access to your bank account no less!

ChocolateWombat Fri 24-Jan-14 15:00:51

I disagree. It is very clear that when you sign for the free trial (and give your bank account details) that YOU have to cancel and they will not be contacting you to see if you want to carry on. The information is very clear.
People are keen for a freebie, which is fine, but it is foolish to not read the terms which are clearly there. There is nothing deceptive about it.
Lots of things work like this. LoveFilm gives a months trial but you give your bank details and the co tract rolls until you cancel.
Yes, these firms hope you won't bother to cancel, but that isn't wrong or deceptive. Customers need to be responsible for themselves. If you can't trust yourself to cancel if you don't wish to continue, it's not the thing to sign up for. The fact they have refunded without a big fuss, when they would be absolutely entitled to say no,mid why it is good service.

DameDeepRedBetty Fri 24-Jan-14 20:27:57

Absolutely agree ChocolateWombat.

I'd actually realised a couple of days ago that I'd forgotten to cancel the Prime thing -which I joined a couple of weeks before Christmas, to save money on delivery - and had written it off thinking my own silly fault for not putting 'CANCEL PRIME' in big letters in my diary around Jan 11th. It was only when I saw this thread this morning that I thought I'd be cheeky and ask. After all, if you don't ask, you'll never get (wisdom of my dear departed granny).

I'm really impressed that Amazon have been wise enough not to piss off a fairly large group of customers by insisting on their legal rights on this occasion.

I agree with those saying it is great customer service that they refund the payments. It's quite clear when you sign up that this is what will happen. They were also really good at refunding me for something I changed my mind about. Still against them for the way they treat staff tho grin

NetworkGuy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:07:12

Price going up to £79 in a few days.

I was invited to try Prime by 26th Feb to lock in at £49 for the year...

Started off with...

In 05 days will include unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes.

alemci Fri 21-Feb-14 22:52:17

they don't charge do they until 30 days have expired. I will make sure I cancel in time.

YouAreTalkingRubbish Fri 21-Feb-14 23:49:39

It's good to hear that Amazon have refunded.

ChineseFireball Sat 22-Feb-14 08:01:16

I did a free trial a year or so ago and there was a box I could tick to say "automagically cancel it at the end of the free trial unless I tell you I want to continue". They emailed me towards the end of the month to remind me to sign up properly (which I didn't because I don't really need it). Is that option no longer there?

Viviennemary Sun 23-Feb-14 12:39:11

I am determined not to try this as I know I'll forget to cancel. It is annoying when you order that it comes up free trial and you have to cancel it if you don't want it. I have to make sure I don't opt for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now