Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit card swapping

(4 Posts)
Dillytante Thu 16-Jan-14 20:24:48

A quick question: if I have 2 credit cards each coming to the end of their interest free periods but both offering 0% on new balances can I just swap the balances over?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 17-Jan-14 09:07:47

You'd have to ask the card providers what their criteria are.

tasteslikechicken Fri 17-Jan-14 09:24:37

Check who the credit card suppliers are, they may be from the same company, in which case they will not let you transfer between the two.
A company called MBNA for instance supply the credit cards for many banks and building societies, the AA, Post Office etc.... The campany then just brand them with their own details. HTH.

tasteslikechicken Fri 17-Jan-14 09:34:08

Sorry, meant to add that they will charge a transfer fee of 2 or 3% of the balance you are transferring. If you are on a tight budget its worth factoring this in, especially if the balances are significant amounts. Also, again if budgeting is important be sure you know when the debt transfers. Last point, when if transferred balances in the past I often ended up being in credit on the old card. When I tidied up all my cards and accounts last year, I discovered about £400 lying around in small balances here and there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now