Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What can I do about a company which charged me twice for the same product?

(4 Posts)
Flukewoman Tue 14-Jan-14 13:00:20

I'm looking for some advice please.

I ordered a gift item for a friend back in October; I ordered one item and paid with a debit card. The transaction showed up twice on my bank statement, on the same day. The bank refused to do anything about it, so I contacted the company to ask for a refund. They agree that only one item was sent and that they received two payments for the same amount.

I have phoned many times and always end up with an apology and a promise to refund the amount. After several attempts at asking for a bank transfer, I started to ask for a cheque. I've been told twice now that a cheque will be sent, but nothing. I phoned today and have been told that the person on the phone can authorise cheques and will do so today.

So my question is - what's the next step if the cheque isn't sent? It's not even a lot of money but it thoroughly pisses me off. And could be quite a little earner if they have done it to others. It's all been very civil so far, but that isn't getting me my money back and I feel it is time to escalate the complaint. Is there an ombudsman or financial authority to whom I can complain if necessary?

I would speak to your bank and get them to use Chargeback to get the funds back for you

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Flukewoman Wed 15-Jan-14 09:14:04

Thank you hoop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now