Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare costs dropped dramatically....how will it affect tax credits?

(6 Posts)
Discomama Tue 14-Jan-14 08:24:11

And when do I tell them? I suspect straight away, my monthly childcare costs have dropped from £150 a month to £17 a month due to DS's funding. Just wondering how much it will affect my tax credits, and do I need to tell the benefits people too??

cranberryorange Tue 14-Jan-14 08:31:43

Yes, tell them straight away unless you fancy getting a massive bill in the near future!

Discomama Tue 14-Jan-14 08:36:53

Thanks - I thought so! Do the benefits people need to know? Can't remember if that was a question on the original form ...

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 14-Jan-14 08:41:02

Tax credits are the only benefit that take child-care costs into account. The rest usually depend on income.

Discomama Tue 14-Jan-14 08:49:48

Great, thanks for the help!

Emmam202 Tue 14-Jan-14 18:07:31

If you get housing benefit etc you need I let them know as well as it does count towards their calculations too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now