Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Going back to work worried about benefits

(10 Posts)
LittleBlondeNinja Mon 13-Jan-14 22:24:35

Hey everyone
I'm going back to work and worried about benefits please could someoneshed light.
My partner works 39 hours at 7quid a hour
I'll be working 25hours at 7 quid about
Its going to cost 80 roughly in childcare a week
We have amortage of 280 per month plus all the other bills....
What benefit do you think I will be getting??

Out of of 175 wage a week after chikcare I'd only be on 95 wish :-!

Worried if going to work would be worth it

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 13-Jan-14 22:29:05

Have you had a look at the benefits checker at www.turn2us.org.uk? If you put in all the information above you should get a reasonable idea of what extra help is available. Always a good move to have a steady employment record. Childcare usually gets less over time.

LittleBlondeNinja Mon 13-Jan-14 22:34:18

I'm just so worried about the overlap with benefit coming in and bills. I've had a look but don't know how reliable they are for up to date info x

Rockchick1984 Mon 13-Jan-14 22:39:06

That's nearly £2,000 a month before tax that you will be bringing in combined, plus you will get some tax credits towards your childcare. With such a small mortgage payment you should be fine smile

LittleBlondeNinja Mon 13-Jan-14 22:47:38

When its said like that its not too bad hahhaaa is it working tax credits or child tax credits that pays forcchildcare costs x

Rockchick1984 Mon 13-Jan-14 23:25:42

Child tax credits.

LittleBlondeNinja Tue 14-Jan-14 00:42:25

Thank you....
universal credit is very confusing - why do they change it 24/7?!!?!?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 14-Jan-14 07:12:04

They don't change it 24/7. The Turn2Us site is pretty accurate. Just submit the claim, tell HMRC if your circumstances change significantly and make sure what you are awarded is close to the numbers in the benefit checker. If there's a big difference between the two, call the Helpline.

FWIW plan for an overlap/shortfall. Start putting a bit of money aside each week. If the worst happens, you have a bit of leeway. If there is no gap, you have a few savings. Win Win

LittleBlondeNinja Thu 16-Jan-14 12:39:32

Ughh turns out i cant take the job anyway because of childcare and not being paid until end of march... sad unemployed relying on the fella again hate this..

SoonToBeSix Sat 18-Jan-14 21:56:25

No childcare help is classed as working tax credits even if you don't get any other money from working tax credits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now