Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits help - really confused

(4 Posts)
Slh122 Fri 10-Jan-14 08:39:44

We're expecting a baby at the end of this month and my midwife told me to look on the turn2us website for any financial help.
It wanted last years income, but our income for the 13/14 tax year has risen significantly (by about 11 grand) and just pushes us over 26 grand I which I think is the cut off for tax credits.
When I entered last years income it says we are entitled to £173 a week when the baby's here which we're obviously not as our income is a lot more this year.
However for the 14/15 tax year our income is going to drop right down again to around 21000 because of SMP.
I rang the tax credit helpline and they were no use, just sent me an application pack which has nowhere to put if your income has changed!
I'm scared of claiming something I'm not entitled to and being landed with a hefty overpayment bill. can anyone advise me?

YoMrWhite Fri 10-Jan-14 08:54:14

You claim it on last years income. It just means next year you wont get anything, but keep your claim active as it means that the year after you will be entitled again due to your maternity pay.

Babyroobs Fri 10-Jan-14 11:55:02

I would ring them and ask for advise, you don't want to end up with a big overpayment.

Your claim is initially based on last year's income but significant changes in income will be taken into account for the current year. If you claim in this financial year you will probably find that you get overpaid initially.

Personally I would claim once the baby is born, keep any payments from them to one side initially and then phone them up asap tell them a) your expected income for 2013/14 and b) your projected income for 2014/15. They should then be able to adjust your award to make sure you're getting more or less the right amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now