Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

getting rid of old but driveable car

(7 Posts)
specialsubject Thu 09-Jan-14 11:09:08

couldn't think where to put this question!

MoT approaching and we are starting to think that the old faithful needs to be put out to grass. It starts and runs wonderfully, stops, goes round corners etc, and is great to drive and use. However the repeated welding is getting pricey and the list of things that don't work is getting longer (boot is sticking, it leaks a bit, central locking has never worked etc etc) Also the tyres are getting towards replacement. We only paid £500 for it 3 years ago so no complaints.

next car will be about the £1500 range at most so we aren't in the part exchange market, and with so many faults on the current one I don't think ebay is worth it.

so the question is: who takes old but driveable cars? Really don't want to pay to scrap it!!

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Thu 09-Jan-14 11:12:16

Sorry no idea atm but will be following this with interest - my lovely old faithful is at the same stage, too good to throw away but not really worth anything. Perhaps donate to banger racing or something?!

The1stTimeEverISawYourPan Thu 09-Jan-14 11:29:30

Google 'car salvage' (different to 'scrap'). Companies will collect your car, do a bit of work on it and put it through auctions.
Most sites will give you a quote once you enter the reg number. They assume it's not battered, full of rubbish inside etc. I'd picked up £150 for an Astra that cost me £500 2 yrs ago, so it was fine.

Mum2Fergus Thu 09-Jan-14 11:50:00

Try putting it on Gumtree or your local FB selling page...this will save you any fees.

specialsubject Thu 09-Jan-14 15:47:02

update - on a trawl round the local garages today I find that there is a chap who will take it and pay me £100 (smaller cars £75).

it seems at the moment the scrap dealers pay you, not the other way round.

Preciousbane Thu 09-Jan-14 15:51:08

I got 130 for my car three years ago after some total git wrote it off when it was minding its own business in a car park sat all alone. It cost me 2k but I had it for almost ten years and apart form the radiator needing replacing and one of the inside handles being faulty that was it in ten years.

Lurleene Thu 09-Jan-14 15:54:42

I used this website when I scrapped mine - it looks at what several places nearby will offer you and then you choose the best price. It was really easy.

Car Take Back.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now