Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

inheritence

(5 Posts)
gemzharris Wed 08-Jan-14 12:21:21

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, i have recently received a large inheritance from my dad only he stated in his will that he didnt want me to receive it until i reach the age of 30 (2 years) until then the funds have been put in a trust account with my aunt and uncle as trustees so will my benefits get stopped even tho i cant touch the funds for another 2 years? my partner works but is on a low income so we get a bit of help with our rent and also working a child tax credits. I totally agree that people that have lots of money shouldnt be claiming benefits but as i cant touch mine i dont know where i stand with this.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 08-Jan-14 13:27:49

Your trustees can give you an income from the capital during this time. Talk them the money won't be completely tied up.

gemzharris Wed 08-Jan-14 14:01:28

ok thankyou anymore advise on this would be really grateful its a really difficult situation as my trustees have already told me they wont release any funds to me until i am 30 so loosing our benefits would leave us in a nightmare situation.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 08-Jan-14 14:22:33

Roughly how much money is it? This is going to be a big factor in any advice

gemzharris Wed 08-Jan-14 14:34:27

hi the total amount is £88,000.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now