Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits - what's out there?

(11 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 07-Jan-14 13:58:29

Well after a massive drop in income & struggling our arses off, it turns out we are actually entitled to some help grin. We are finally getting tax credits and whilst looking for something else altogether realised we could well get a Council Tax Reduction (didn't even know this applied to privately owned homes blush & free NHS treatment. I've sent off for both the forms but now I'm wondering what else I'm missing? For example, I know leisure centres often do cheaper rates for low income families - any ideas what this means exactly or how it works? And school meals - is this also a possibility as ours are way too pricey for us right now (£2.30per child) & I'd love to get them back on them at least a couple of days a week.

Sorry to sound so grabby but we are desperately trying to climb out of a financial black- hole and having never claimed a penny before I want to take all the help that's available to us whilst we need it.

Thanks

AliceinWinterWonderland Tue 07-Jan-14 14:00:14

You should be able to get info on an application for free school meals from your child's school.

Babyroobs Tue 07-Jan-14 14:09:37

I don't think you can get free school meals if you are in receipt of working tax credits. I may be wrong though.

AliceinWinterWonderland Tue 07-Jan-14 14:23:35

oh sorry, Babyroobs is right. I don't think you qualify if you get working tax credits. Never hurts to check though.

17leftfeet Tue 07-Jan-14 14:28:09

What is your household income & how many hours do you work -will help people to give you more specific help

Trish07 Tue 07-Jan-14 14:30:03

I've just received a phone call from DWP that they have sent a letter out for me to fill in and return immediately to confirm I'm getting right amount of money ..I've been on single parent for a while now and never had them phone me before and all for a letter also seems abit much or is it normal procedure nowadays

LucyLasticBand Tue 07-Jan-14 14:30:37

Turn to us is the benefits checker you need.

LucyLasticBand Tue 07-Jan-14 14:30:54

free dental care you should get too.

LucyLasticBand Tue 07-Jan-14 14:31:16

if your dc have music lessons, you may get that half price

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 07-Jan-14 21:12:11

No music lessons unfortunately & I'll check about school meals & dental (although I think that's covered under the HC1 form). Thank you will also have a look at Turn to Us but due to rather complicated income streams (2 x paid employment + 2 x self-employment inc. 1 trading at a loss!) this is one of the reasons it's taken so long to work out we're actually entitled to anything.

I work 36 hours a week & DH 45 and for tax year 12/13 combined income was £18k (paid employment & net profit from self-employment) and 13/14 looking likely to be c.£16k unless there's some miracle between now & April hmm Pre-2012 we were bringing in £50k+ & unfortunately our house (& therefore many bills) reflect previous income hence the sudden struggle shock

All help and advice very much appreciated and here's a brighter 2014.

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 08-Jan-14 00:48:02

Try the benefits search and other resources on this website www.turn2us.org.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now