Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Best bank accounts? What's yours like?

(33 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 05-Jan-14 20:13:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OodlesofOods Sun 05-Jan-14 20:17:17

I'm not happy with nationwide. The accounts do good things and v easy to use but when there's something wrong no one is bothered.

Mum2Fergus Mon 06-Jan-14 08:18:32

I'm with Bank of Scotland over 16 years now...very happy.

I love First Direct. Easy online, super polite and pleasant staff and every time I've phoned it's been answered within 3 rings-no faffing around with 'press this number to speak to...'

nameuschangeus Mon 06-Jan-14 08:35:16

I'm with smile on line bank, part of the co-op. I love it. Never any problems as you do it all yourself.

twentyten Mon 06-Jan-14 08:37:56

First direct - have been with them for over 20 years. Brill

MrsSteptoe Mon 06-Jan-14 08:40:11

^ what twentyten said.
First Direct are fantastic. But I should emphasise that I have been lucky enough to maintain a consistent income and haven't been in debt, so I have no experience of what they're like if you fall on hard times. For all I know, that may be a very different story.

MrsSteptoe Mon 06-Jan-14 08:40:40

* Not that I'm implying that you are struggling, OP!

GentlyGentlyOhDear Mon 06-Jan-14 09:50:22

Also love First Direct - also do a small interest free overdraft- handy as we often slip into it!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 06-Jan-14 12:43:03

Who is it you're fed up with?

Ra88 Mon 06-Jan-14 12:46:58

Lloyd's , iv been with them about 13 years . Never any issues !

OodlesofOods Mon 06-Jan-14 13:15:09

What are first direct/Co op like online? I do loads with the nationwide app at the moment.

DipMeInChocolate Mon 06-Jan-14 13:17:38

I have Halifax & Bank of Scotland current acs, both are the £5pm reward accounts. They're pretty good.

elvisola Mon 06-Jan-14 13:21:30

I have Barclays and Lloyd's accounts, both have good online banking facilities which enable you to set up extra "savings" accounts. I use these to separate my money 3 ways, I then transfer cash immediately from i.e my bills account to current account.

I would just have Barclays but I had an old Lloyd's account and I now use it as a business account (childminder) and separate expenses and tax.

Even though it's a faff and I'm constantly moving money around it helps me budget.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 06-Jan-14 17:44:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eatyourveg Mon 06-Jan-14 18:01:04

I have Lloyds, Barclays and Santander - each for different purposes.

Barclays are the least in my face which I like.

Not had many problems at all but if there is one, its almost always Santander.

Lloyds annoy me as whenever I pay in a big cheque they ring wanting me to go in for an interview so they can sell me some product that I am not the least bit interested in.

I'd go with Barclays

3littlefrogs Mon 06-Jan-14 18:07:02

First Direct are wonderful.

TeacupDrama Mon 06-Jan-14 19:39:28

first direct but you have to pay in at least £1000 a month so a salary of about 14-15,000 gross they win every single customer satisfaction survey year after year hands down about 93% think excellent

recommended by martin lewis money saving expert have banked with them for almost 20 years

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-Jan-14 07:44:15

My accounts are with Halifax. I have four accounts.... a main current account, a 'bills' current account that purely pays all the DDs, a small emergency savings account and one of their Cash ISAs. I stay in credit and never have any problems with them.

princessalbert Tue 07-Jan-14 07:48:52

First Direct.

I have been with th for ages, about 19/20 years? No hassles.

DziezkoDisco Tue 07-Jan-14 07:59:41

Coop, love it, theyve let me off the odd mistake. Sorted out in 5 hours some fraud that wasn't their (or my) fault.

ethanelliot Tue 07-Jan-14 17:26:27

First direct, £250 overdraft without fee. And you've got £100 when you switch account

Iamnotminterested Tue 07-Jan-14 17:35:29

Ok, Santander can be a bit crap organisation-wise but their 123 current account is great.

You have to pay in at least £500 every month and have at least 2dds going out, pay a monthly fee of £2 but get cash back on balances (the more you keep in there the better) and get cash back on mortgage payments on a Santander mortgage, utility bills and communications. I keep about 8-10k in there and usually earn between £40-£50 interest every month which is paid back in automatically to my account.

I don't work for Santander BTW!!

littleredsquirrel Tue 07-Jan-14 17:39:05

HSBC have been good with us but if I changed I would move to First Direct (also part of hsbc) for their off-setting mortgages.

peanutbutterandbanana Tue 07-Jan-14 18:22:55

I literally LOVE First Direct. They are at the end of the phone 24 hours, 'they' being helpful, polite and friendly staff. Online is also easy to do as well as being very secure. They have a daily mini-statement text service (free to use) which you can choose to have or not but I like seeing just what I have in my account each day. Their iphone app is also brilliant to use and I pay lots of bills with it and check balances. And you can have lots of current accounts and they never mess up which account standing orders are paid from (unlike RBS). They are very reliable. I've been with them for 25 years I think, almost since they started. Would never consider moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now