Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

home emergency cover AND boiler cover?

(3 Posts)
principalitygirl Sun 05-Jan-14 12:52:23

Both our building & contents insurance and our British Gas boilercare are up for renewal.
We got British Gas repair and cover boiler care when our boiler completely broke last year as despite having home emergency cover on household insurance, this didn't cover full cost of repair and we faced a bill for hundreds. Repair and cover was cheaper.
We want to keep boiler cover for obvious reasons but does anyone know who's cheaper than British Gas? Our cover includes fixing boiler and pipes.
Also, if we have boiler cover, do we still need home emergency when we renew household insurance or would we then be paying twice for same / lesser cover?
Am confused! (That website isn't helping!!)
Thx!

roundtable Sun 05-Jan-14 13:04:50

Speaking from my own experience, I have got home emergency cover. They've just come out and had to temporarily fix the roof as it was leaking. I also have homecare 400 with British gas but that would not have covered that.

For £24 a year (that's how much mine is) it seems worth it. However, we are not diy minded at all. My husband works away a lot and we have a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Perhaps we won't need it as much if we had more time?

principalitygirl Mon 13-Jan-14 21:22:50

I think we'll get both as cost isn't too much. like you, I have a toddler and zero time to spend on all this. might avoid homeserve though, given today's news...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now