Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help a complete novice, please

(13 Posts)

Right, I have, since I was 16, had a phone that's been on contract. Contract is in my mum's name, because obviously I was too young to take one out.

Have had a little issue with the phone, tried to get it sorted today in store. "Sorry, can't help you. Your mum isn't here."

This is annoying. I'm 24 years old, and would really like to get the next contract in my own name.

However, I don't know if I'll be accepted, and would rather not try because I know a fail will put a big mark on my credit rating. Which, I believe, is non existent. The only thing I've had, is a pay monthly gym membership on direct debit. I pay no household bills as I am still living at home for various reasons, but pay board each month.

Is there a way, that won't show on a check, for me to see how likely I am to get a contract?

Also, what's a good way to boost my credit score? I would eventually like to leave home, and get my own place, but no credit history = no mortgage so I'm stuck again.

It just goes round in a circle!

Mum2Fergus Mon 23-Dec-13 21:39:00

Does it have to be contract? How about Pay n Go or Pay Monthly?

I guess I could do sim only and pay for the phone, but I'm currently looking at a replacement/upgrade for my HTC One X, so could be quite a hefty initial outlay.

Anyone know any reputable places to pick up a refurbished iPhone? smile

Would Pay Monthly help my credit score or not? I can see myself being in the same boat down the line if I did decide to go for a full on contract if not.

NatashaBee Mon 23-Dec-13 21:53:04

A phone contract is probably a good way to get some credit history. Even if they say no, one denial won't be the end of the world. It's more likely that they will say you need to pay an additional security deposit rather than decline you.

Mum2Fergus Mon 23-Dec-13 21:55:28

Check Ebay or see if you have a local selling page in Facebook.

You can register with the 3 main credit agencies (or Check My File do all 3) and see what your credit file looks like if you are concerned about it...

Ooh, that gives me some hope - I just don't want the hassle every time I have a little issue of having to co-ordinate days of etc and trek into town, if I can do it all myself.

Well, an update.

I signed up for o2 Refresh online earlier - all went through no problem so obviously no issues surrounding the credit check. Don't think I'll fully relax until I've got the phone in my hands though. The website did say if the credit check fails the transaction won't go through, so I'm guessing all is OK.

I've been responsible, I know I can afford my repayments, and have read all the agreements, just feels nice knowing I can deal with all my phone stuff myself now.

I actually feel rather grown up - as daft as it sounds!

FluffyDucky Wed 25-Dec-13 16:58:42

lollipop I got a credit card for this exact reason. I use it for various things and it gets paid off in full at the end of each month. Having the phone contract is a brilliant start.
Make sure your are on the electoral roll and as a previous poster had said, check your credit file/rating x

Mum2Fergus Thu 26-Dec-13 08:52:18

Great news,well done Lollipop.

working3jobs Thu 26-Dec-13 17:13:10

well done in starting out with such a responsible attitude.

maybe once you have been paying the phone for 12 months apply for a credit card , use it for a couple of things a month only AND PAY OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH. this will give you credit history.

I just pay for petrol and nothing else with mine so I don't lose track of what I've spent.

but, it's extremely important that you PAY OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH

please remember that that last point about PAYING OFF IN FULL EVERY MONTH.

good luck smile

Thank you working smile My family have always been of the "don't spend what you don't have" mentality and I'm a firm believer in that.

I sat there for ages yesterday, reading all the agreements etc (and downloaded them) for future reference.

Credit card will happen at some point, and will certainly be paid off each month.

As I said, I'm not relaxing til I actually have the phone, which is taking ages because of ordering during the Christmas period, but once it's here, I'll be happy.

OK, now I'm doing the happy dance - phone has been dispatched and will be with me Monday grin

I'm on a rubbish temporary phone as mine isn't recognising my sim card and with it not being my account, getting it sorted was going to be a nightmare.

Now I have my own account, life should be much simpler smile

Mum2Fergus Fri 27-Dec-13 20:47:08

Woohoo, great news Lollipop, thanks for the update!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now