Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much do you pay for broadband?

(15 Posts)
JanePurdy Wed 18-Dec-13 20:30:11

We have a phone line & broadband from Virgin. We pay £36 a month & just got an email to tell me it's going up by £3.50 a month hmm. We literally never use the phoneline - we don't even have a phone plugged in, we just use the internet. Nearly £40 a month seems so expensive though! Wondering what other people pay with who?

nannynick Wed 18-Dec-13 20:51:16

£19.99 for the broadband element - Plusnet Fibre, on a Market 3 exchange. Current speed: 31.89Mb/s. Often get twice that but the weather outside and peak time is probably affecting it. For ADSL / Fibre, find out which Market your exchange is in using SamKnows.com

I then have phone line rental on top which I pay annually (which is cheaper than paying monthly), £137.88 for 2014.

Like you I make few phone calls, so pay for those monthly if I make any.

You need to consider what you get in your Virgin package and also cost of changing back to BT... would you need a new line activated? Looks like BT charge £40 (an online offer) or £130 to activate line if not taking other services from them. BT LandLine

vj32 Wed 18-Dec-13 20:52:05

We are with EE - we pay £2 per month for unlimited broadband. On top of that we pay line rental - I think £14ish a month but we paid it upfront to get a discount. Only problem is the 'package' only includes free weekend calls and the cost of the actual calls is quite expensive. DH had a mobile on Orange so they offer a bit of a discount if you are an existing customer. Cheapest I found when looking 2 months ago was Tesco but they don't offer it in my area yet.

It seems that the cost of Broadband has come down a lot so if you last looked a year or more ago you could be pleasantly surprised at how little you can pay.

JanePurdy Wed 18-Dec-13 21:08:05

That's interesting, we signed up to this 2 years ago when we moved in so maybe that is why our price seems so high. As I recollect we had to have a phone line put in as it was all cable (?). God I am so untechnical. I would be happy to ditch the phone line all together really.

YummyDollie Wed 18-Dec-13 23:06:21

We have just the broadband package (no phone tv or line rental just broadband) it was free instal and is £17 a month

YummyDollie Wed 18-Dec-13 23:06:37

With virgin media i may add

RedHelenB Fri 20-Dec-13 14:00:00

Talktalk telly, broiadband & phone (free calls apart from o84 & mobiles) for £23 a month. Really glad I switched

RedHelenB Fri 20-Dec-13 14:02:18

Slightly misleading because it will be £30 in 6 months but still good.

StormyBrid Fri 20-Dec-13 14:05:05

Forty quid a month for phone and broadband. Going fibre optic in January, no extra charge. I'm in Hull though - KC can charge what they like because we have no option to switch.

Artandco Fri 20-Dec-13 14:06:35

£27 for highest bt broadband package. Includes phone

ChasingSquirrels Fri 20-Dec-13 17:01:59

Talktalk
£3.75 p/m for broadband.
Phone was £114 for the year.
Calls extra, but use the free minutes on my mobile so usually less than £1 p/m on home phone.

12 months finishes in Feb & just looking, Broadband is £2.50pm.

BackforGood Fri 20-Dec-13 17:08:56

Might be on the same package as you OP, with Virgin, for :

Landline
Inclusive calls 24/7
Broadband
TV
It's £36 / month, but just about to go up. We do use the landline though, and rely on the TV package (I rarely watch anything when it's on - all 'catch up')

JanePurdy Fri 20-Dec-13 17:28:07

No we don't have TV with Virgin, it's £39.50 for phoneline & broadband. Don't know what the payment plan is for calls as don't use it but definitely not all inclusive.

I pay about £32 pm for broadband, line rental and calls. Think calls are all inclusive except maybe to mobiles. Works for me ok because I call landlines a lot, and mobiles not so much.

So if you don't use the landline part of your package, presumably you use your mobiles for all calls. How much do you pay for your mobiles?

I pay max £10 pm for PAYG, but I don't use my mobile much at all. If I think there's going to be a month where I'll be using it a lot I get a £10 freedom freebie instead of normal PAYG top up.

Think you need to look at the total that you pay for broadband plus tel. calls whether that be mobile or landline in order to gauge true value for money IYSWIM.

Tableforfour Mon 23-Dec-13 18:52:31

Plusnet have a good deal at the moment

Unlimited broadband 2.99/month
Line rental 11.50 if paid 1y in advance
Unlimited calls to landlines and 0845/0870 4.50/ month

So total 19/month which I think is a good deal
Good service too once you get through to them but they take ages to answer the phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now