Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

lost bankers draft, can it be replaced ?

(17 Posts)
nextphase Mon 02-Dec-13 14:12:52

Thats fab news. Glad its safe.
Visit to the bank this afternoon?

Damnautocorrect Mon 02-Dec-13 13:31:18

At my old work one went missing (to John terry!) bank caused a massive fuss about cancelling and reissuing as it's lost cash basically. Once they knew who it was for they reissued hmm

Golddigger Mon 02-Dec-13 13:24:34

whohoo. And congrats to your DH for finding it. now dont lose it again!

MrMacadoo Mon 02-Dec-13 13:00:54

very pleased to advise that the cheque has been found! it did involve my Dh having to climb into the communal bin at our old flat, dig through 6 days of rubbish to our bags at the bottom! So relieved to have it. Its getting paid in this afternoon!

the money would have been debited from the customers account and put into one of the branch accounts and then the cheque will have been written against that account. The bank should be able to stop the cheque in the same way they would stop a cheque for a customer.

Floggingmolly Sun 01-Dec-13 20:40:17

The only way the bank will get involved is if the drawer is prepared to indemnify the draft against it being cashed in the future; this will involve a pretty hefty fee; and she'll also have to prove she's "good" for the money.
What that entails I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it involves ensuring her bank balance never drops below the draft value (could be wrong on the specifics).

Buttercup4 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:40:00

It was considered as 'safe' to take as cash years ago. I'm not sure it's thought of in the same way now (because if increased fraud)

I've worked as a bank manager before and have out a stop on Bankers Drafts.

In our company policy, you would have to write a letter to say that you had no interest in that cheque as it had been lost, we would then provide the account holder with a new cheque.

Golddigger Sun 01-Dec-13 20:35:30

But it is a cheque isnt it.
It is thought of the same as cash becuase it is drawn on the Bank Of England, so as safe as ....well, the Government actually.

MrMacadoo Sun 01-Dec-13 20:33:28

thanks everyone. My concern is that it is the equivalent of cash so the bank won't be able to do anything. I will call them in the morning to ask what the protocol is before I have to sift through the communal bins or admit to my 80 year old grandma that i have lost it!

Floggingmolly Sun 01-Dec-13 20:26:00

It's the same as a bank draft, so it's actually not really a cheque at all; it's an equivalent to cash...
The bank will not stop the draft because as far as they're concerned you've already removed the money from your account. Hopefully it's in the house somewhere and just mislaid rather than fully lost? Good luck.

get the giver of the cheque to call the bank and put a stop on the bankers draft and then a new one can be issued

nextphase Sun 01-Dec-13 20:25:36

I think you will have to contact the person who gave you the draft, and get them to talk to the issuing bank.
Hope it get resolved.

ginmakesitallok Sun 01-Dec-13 20:24:21

But call the bank, it might be able to stop the draft if it's been stolen rather than lost?

ilovemydoggy England Sun 01-Dec-13 20:23:25

The person who issued it to you, will have to contact the bank and get it cancelled they may charge to do so and will have to pay for a new one to be issued. Do think this varies between bank to bank but can def cancelled it.

Golddigger Sun 01-Dec-13 20:21:23

I could be wrong, but I would think that you can ask the bank to stop the missing cheque and redo another one for you?

ginmakesitallok Sun 01-Dec-13 20:19:37

Sorry, I think it's like losing cash....

MrMacadoo Sun 01-Dec-13 20:17:07

I was given a bankers cheque as a moving house gift and in all the madness of moving i have misplaced it. Im also 6 months pregnant and very forgetful. I'm not able to sleep because of the stress as it was a fairly large amount. Does anyone know if they can be replaced or if it's like losing cash? Am so worried. Thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now