Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

8 wks pregnant in debt - need advice/help

(22 Posts)
kiki88 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:09:29

im currently 8wks pregnant. I have 2 small debts on store cards almost paid off and 2 larger debts on credit cards from silly emotional spending when younger. I have moved in with my boyfriend but all my debts are registered to my parents address and that I'm single and living with them. I have no assets other than my car which isn't worth that much or the cost of the debts. my debt minimum payments are roughly £500 a month then the rest of my wages are used to pay for diesel & car insurance, the rest abt £250 I contribute to our joint account to pay towards food electric etc. i have no savings. when I go on maternity I will only receive the standard that everyone gets, the company will not add to it. I won't have enough money for baby or to pay the min amounts. not sure what to do. have tried to consolidate the debt into a loan with a few banks but I have been denied this. not sure what I can or should do now :s

specialsubject Sat 30-Nov-13 21:15:27

assuming that you plan to have the baby, you need financial advice fast. I'm afraid you are committing fraud at the moment which won't help.

£500 a month? You need a manageable debt repayment plan.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 30-Nov-13 21:22:18

Are you in arrears with any of your payments? It doesn't sound as of you are, but if so, get advice from cab who will help you to draw up a new repayment agreementand put interest on hold in the meantime.
If no arrears, you need to get your creditors to agree to reduced payments. Some information on adviceguide.

Money Advice Service is also useful I think.

Don't let it all fester and get yourself stressed out; it's not insurmountable and taking control and eing honest and open shows your creditors that you are responsibility and integrity.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 30-Nov-13 21:23:53

Sorry am I being thick? Where's the fraud?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 30-Nov-13 21:25:45

That you have responsibility etc.

kiki88 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:43:37

living with parents or living with partner is the same at the moment as I'm not named on the mortgage or anything plus I have had these cards for years and not lived together that long. I've been silly and only ever paid min amounts so its gradually got more than less leaving very little each month to try make over payments. will the citizens advice be able to do much? I've read different things online but its all very confusing and alot of it seems to have fees involved or companies taking advantage :s

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 30-Nov-13 22:23:22

You don't need to go to anyone who charges money. Citizens Advice can give you a basic outline of what to do next, and a realistic picture of your best action.

If you're in arrears, they'll help you to draw up a repayment plan, or offer other suggestions.

And they can check your benefits entitlement.

penguinplease Sat 30-Nov-13 22:30:51

No fraud there. Get in touch with your creditors, communication and honesty is the key, re negotiate your payments according to your new circumstances. It's in their interests to help and support you, they want what is owed.

Be confident, having a baby is not a crime and you just need to re prioritise. Good luck

RedHelenB Sun 01-Dec-13 07:49:04

Have you considered all the options regarding being pregnant?

LIZS Sun 01-Dec-13 07:55:28

If you have moved in with your bf surely his income will go towards the baby ? Does he know about the debts ?

kiki88 Sun 01-Dec-13 10:14:42

he knows about them but is leaving it to me to sort out as its my mess. he will help financially with the baby but I want to be able to contribute to the food bills etc as well as my half of baby stuff. the maternity pay won't stretch far to be able to do all that though :s

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 01-Dec-13 10:36:35

What do you mean by 'my half of the baby stuff?' There are no halves; your income will drastically reduce when you're on mat leave with his baby. Any income is famiy income as you are now a family.

Not saying he shoud take on responsibilty for your debts (although since, presumably, you intend to be together forever, the family would benefit by paying off the debt sooner, that would seem to me to be a sensible, supportive move), but please don't fall into the trap of thinkng you have to pay half even when you don't have the means to pay it.

LIZS Sun 01-Dec-13 11:07:00

agree you are one unit now , so it is household income not your half /his half. Realistically you cannot afford to pay £500 when you are on SMP. Look at renegotiating the payments (Step Change will help you) and your bf may need to support you, and in time the baby financially, for a while. Him saying it is your mess isn't a very constructive way of addressing it . You have at least 6 months before ml to rebalance things and set yourselves up in readiness. Are you low paid or are your car expenses very high ? How much does he earn ?

kiki88 Sun 01-Dec-13 12:02:38

after tax & nat insurance I have just under £1000 at present. so £500 is min payments, £250 towards food electric heat etc, £120 in diesel to get to work then the other £120ish goes on things like car maintenance or other miscellaneous things that crop up

kiki88 Sun 01-Dec-13 12:04:55

he earns a fair bit more than me but he pays the mortgage himself.my contributions help with food and electric and oil etc

specialsubject Sun 01-Dec-13 13:19:00

you said you had everything registered at one address, but are actually living elsewhere with your partner. Doesn't this affect things?

it is your mess but if he is a partner he should help you sort it out. He was clearly happy to partner you getting pregnant.

good luck.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 01-Dec-13 21:27:40

OP, I don't know who Debt Camel is, but please consult cab or Money Advice Service before an unknown site some random from tinternet has jumped in to post.

It's not for anyone here to suggest DROs or bankrutcy - you need to consult someone un person who can look at the facts and figures and give you best options and advice.

Have reported that post.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 01-Dec-13 21:29:01

Bankruptcy not bankrucy.

specialsubject Mon 02-Dec-13 12:08:23

the possible fraud is benefit fraud, as manzanillaplease states.

kiki88 Mon 02-Dec-13 19:30:16

I wouldn't be getting benefits if im employed full time tho? just standard mat pay?

LIZS Mon 02-Dec-13 19:46:07

tax credits perhaps ? SMP isn't worth much after the first 6 weeks (£130ish pw) and in your case the first 6 won't be much above the this anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now