Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you "clean" a poor credit rating?

(8 Posts)
megcleary Fri 29-Nov-13 16:30:21

A dear friend and her partner have been told they have a poor credit history due to a debt when renting. Is there a way to fix it?

Rockchick1984 Fri 29-Nov-13 16:41:50

Depends what sort of a debt it is, and what happened with it. I'd need more details to help.

megcleary Fri 29-Nov-13 16:45:27

Apparently £95 owed to a utility company when asked to move from a flat ASAP as landlord selling. Debt discovered months later and paid in full as soon as known. Now looking for ristorante mortgage and refused due to this.

megcleary Fri 29-Nov-13 16:46:04

That should read first mortgage.

Rockchick1984 Fri 29-Nov-13 16:51:33

They can go to the utility company and ask them to remove the debt from their credit file, and if the utility company refuse they can put a notice of correction on their credit file to explain what happened. If the utility company agree to remove it, then there shouldn't be any more problems. If they have to do a notice of correction it will depend on the lender, but basically it will be looked at by an underwriter who will decide if they feel this is a good enough reason and if they feel your friend is credit worthy rather than just an automated decision!

megcleary Fri 29-Nov-13 17:00:36

Thanks will pass that on.

Good advice here on how to correct errors on your credit file www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score. Also to avoid any firms offering to 'repair' your credit record - they either don't work or they involve you committing perjury, or you could do it yourself and save their fees...

(I never make any money from any links in my posts.)

noodleone Sun 01-Dec-13 17:13:15

Being registered to vote in a good cheap way to enhance your credit rating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now