Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone used Spark Energy?

(9 Posts)
WhatAHooHa Fri 29-Nov-13 14:25:32

I'm just looking on Uswitch and they come up as offering the biggest saving, but I've never heard of them! Is anyone else signed up to them?

specialsubject Fri 29-Nov-13 18:50:07

not used them, but have been researching them due to letting a property. You might want to read the reviews that are NOT on their site...

not had good reviews according to moneysavingexpert

wonderstuff Sat 30-Nov-13 21:32:01

Stay away. We were automatically with them because we rent with your move. Every time I go on the website it's down, never been able to access my account online and on the phone they've agreed to send a paper bill but it's never come. At one point they increased our repayments because we owed them, they said they'd only estimated our bill, then they said they'd put a number in the wrong column. I can't find out what they say we are using to check or compare it, I'm moving. Or trying to, got a letter from Scottish Power apologising for the delay yesterday..

specialsubject Sun 01-Dec-13 10:32:18

I'm going to be a Your Move landlord - have removed the clause in my contract about switching to Spark and will do the same for the tenant's contracts. If they WANT to switch to them that's fine, but because of stories like this, I don't want to play this game.

wonderstuff Sun 01-Dec-13 11:19:26

I would be wary of Your Move, they have charged us huge fees, I imagine they charge their landlords a lot too, they are all about money and have little interest in the property. I thought they had removed the tie to Spark clause from all contracts after the Watchdog feature.

We paid £650 for references and £150 to renew contracts annually.

specialsubject Sun 01-Dec-13 12:09:30

point taken, but it isn't really for the agent to be interested in the property, that's my job as the landlord.

the contract stresses that tenants can change - apparently Spark do their best to make that difficult. As the property is currently vacant and I'm paying the bills, I don't want to use them either.

the fees I have (and my tenants will have) are a lot lower than those you quote - perhaps it is area dependent? I shopped around a lot, but have rented out before and am well aware that with agents you do a lot of barking yourself. :-)

pardonmytits Tue 21-Jan-14 12:09:48

Avoid like the plague. Absolutely shit. As said above, read impartial reviews. We had nothing but grief when dealing with them.

UpQuarkDownQuark Tue 21-Jan-14 12:11:45

Avoid them! They are awful, not properly set up at all. They will cause you more hassle in the long run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now