Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sending money overseas

(4 Posts)
princessalbert Wed 27-Nov-13 23:02:10

I want to send approx. £400 to the USA. The money is for part payment of a family members plane ticket - as they are coming over to visit next year.

My bank will charge me £25 to do so, and there may be deductions along the way - depending on the handling banks policies.

I could get a bankers draft - £20.

Does anyone know of the cheapest/ easiest way to handle this money matter?

I am considering just giving it to them in ££ for spending money when they get here either.

"I am considering just giving it to them in ££ for spending money when they get here either"

If they don't need $$ now, that sounds much the easiest thing. Not only do you avoid the bank charges for sending money, it means there won't be a loss on coverting currencies as they are very unlikely to have a US ban account that will let them hold ££

Rockchick1984 Thu 28-Nov-13 09:31:23

If you get a banker's draft they will probably be charged by their bank so lose out anyway. Agree with Manzanilla cash is your best bet if they can afford to do it that way.

princessalbert Thu 28-Nov-13 12:19:37

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they don't even know that I am considering paying towards the tickets.

I think I will just let them know that I will cover half, but in £ sterling for their spending money. If I tell them now, at least they won't need to budget to save up as much money for spends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now