Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Would you expect to have to pay duty on an American Amazon parcel?

(9 Posts)
PuzzledBear Wed 27-Nov-13 14:07:38

I ordered a package from the US Amazon site, with hefty shipping fee. Now I've had a bill from FedEx for duty! Is this normal??

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 27-Nov-13 14:09:54

Not for books or children's clothes, but yes for amost everything else. Often it's not actually duty as such, it's tax and a whopping great admin fee.

WowOoo Wed 27-Nov-13 14:12:25

Yes, its normal.

Sorry! I think it's duty and a customs handling charge. My most recent package had been opened, checked, resealed and stamped.

PuzzledBear Wed 27-Nov-13 14:14:54

Damn. I was hoping something was wrong...

ImpatientOne Wed 27-Nov-13 14:25:22

yep I paid it on my wedding dress from the USA and a penknife thing my Dad wanted. Completely normal I'm afraid.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Nov-13 15:35:44

Yes, usually it's the equivalent of VAT.

writingquestion Sat 30-Nov-13 14:27:21

Yes, we ordered wallpaper and were hit with a large customs charge.

scaevola Sat 30-Nov-13 14:34:49

Yes, you may have to pay both import duty and VAT.

The way in which courier companies act as agents in this is a bit dubious sometimes (as you are not the one who made the contct with them, you shouldn't have to pay any 'administration fee' for this) but you do owe the taxes (law of land, not specific contract) and must pay.

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 30-Nov-13 15:30:07

Yes. That's why I avoid buying outside the EU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now