Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Going to be skint :(

(37 Posts)
MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:15:02

Just moved out with my little boy and we've been in our new home only a month and I've received a letter that I'm not going to be receiving help with council tax and I'll only get 140 a month help with rent. I can't believe it I'm gutted I'm a single mum and I'm now going to be absolutely skint and lose my car!

Someone I know in the exact same situation gets 415 towards her rent sad

Brittapie Wed 27-Nov-13 10:18:03

Check on entitledto.co.uk - you must have income from somewhere else for your benefits to be that low.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:20:36

I work 16 hours and get tax credits, but so does the other person I know! I'm praying they've got it wrong cause I'll have to quit my job without a car as I can't get back from work!

I will check on the calculator, thankyou!!

Well it depends on your income doesn't it?
And how many bedrooms you have etc.

Are you sure that the other person has exactly the same circumstances as you?

YoucancallmeQueenBee Wed 27-Nov-13 10:32:42

Why will you lose your car MamaPingu?

MyMILisfromHELL Wed 27-Nov-13 10:33:36

Does your friend's house have fewer bedrooms than yours? Are they living in a different area to you? Maybe your friend is unwittingly accruing an overpayment of hb and will have to pay it back when her hb claim is reviewed.

You need to speak to your ha or council asap & ask them to review your case as a matter of urgency, tell them you could lose your car & therefore your job. Don't. take no for an answer.

Will working more hours rather than stop working perhaps help? Can you speak to work about increasing your hours?

MirandaWest Wed 27-Nov-13 10:38:20

You should get single person discount for council tax whatever else.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:38:24

Yeah we have discussed it and she said the same amounts in tax credits child benefit etc. She does live in a different area yeah, bet that might be why! sad

And I'd lose my car cause I wouldn't be able to afford to insure it, and if be working til 10 at night where there's no buses to where I live!

I've done the calculator and it says I'm not entitled to anything, looks like I'll have to move back home with my mum and dad if this is correct. I'll have to ring and check confused

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:39:21

If I worked more hours I'd be unable to get childcare, he's 11 weeks old and I finish late, I can't believe this is happening!

Brittapie Wed 27-Nov-13 10:41:00

Do you own a house perhaps? Or other assets over £6000?

I think you should hold on to your job as best as you can.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:44:34

I have nothing at all, I literally have my little old car and that's is!

And I know I don't want to be losing my job, I'd probably have to move back home hmm

Can you move into a smaller flat?

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 11:14:25

I might have to move to the area my friend is in, it isn't far. But I have to live here for 6 months now before I can leave confused

This is a bloody mess

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Nov-13 11:55:34

How about booking an appointment with CAB? You have an income, tax credits, Child Benefit, maintenance (?) and £140/month help with the rent. Are you servicing any debts out of that? After you've paid for rent, utilities, car and other essentials how far short are you each month?

YoucancallmeQueenBee Wed 27-Nov-13 12:03:19

MamaPingu, are you sure you've given them all the right details? Get all your figures to hand & then call up and talk to someone.

Don't panic yet!

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 12:23:35

With no car insurance or petrol to pay out I am on around 0. The money I get just covers bills, food and rent at the moment.

I'm just waiting for DS to have a nap then I'm going to ring the council up and see what they say!

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 12:28:41

With no car insurance or petrol to pay out I am on around 0. The money I get just covers bills, food and rent at the moment.

I'm just waiting for DS to have a nap then I'm going to ring the council up and see what they say!

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 12:29:07

Sorry for double post!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Nov-13 13:04:33

Does your home have a spare room? Would you be happy to share with another person?

holstenlips Wed 27-Nov-13 13:10:43

Im single 2 kids and rent £900 pcm. I work 22 hours a week. I get hb which covers about £500 of rent. Also tax credits. Cant afford a car though. Check with council re hb and make sure you get single person discount on ctax. Also you can get discount on water if you are the only adult.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 14:21:46

Just found out they won't give me anymore and the amount is correct. I'm fucked to say the least, that's no Christmas and my car is going to be gone. And most probably my job now

Absolutely devastated sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Nov-13 15:23:00

I don't want to sound mean but, aside from going on what your friend gets, did you not research all of this before taking on the property? Were you given duff information somewhere or has something cost more than you bargained for?

You didn't answer about the spare room. I've done 'Rent A Room' with my house when things were tight in the past.

So you have two choices then as I see it:

A) Give up job and car and survive solely on benefits.
B) Give up flat, keep job and car and work to earn a living.

Which do you think will be your best option in the long run?

Also, who is looking after your child while you are working evening shifts?

Could you cycle, or get a moped/scooter to get to and from work instead? Scooters are cheaper to run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now