Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DLA and extra tax credits

(21 Posts)

Dd2 was awarded higher rate care and lower rate mobility at the beginning of Nov, backdated to 13 Sept. Have had back pay from them, and im being paid 4 weekly, all fine.

I informed tax credits about a week later but I am yet to recieve any top up to my weekly CTC payment, or any back pay.
I'm starting to worry I won't get the back pay at all.

How long did it take everyone else to sort tax credits ??

Also, ive applied for carers allowance, and they've not sorted that yet either confused

It takes a while for the extra to be confirmed. The woman I spoke to said that they were confirming awards after having people lie and say they were receiving DLA when they weren't.

Only took about 2-3 weeks for mine at the beginning of the year.

Ah right, thank you. She did say it would be sent to be checked, and I wondered then what she meant.

Hopefully not too long then. Can I ask if you got any back pay you were due to get ??

I got all the back pay which was quite a bit as Ds' DLA was lost and had to be redone (took 18 weeks IIRC).

All they are doing is confirming the rate of DLA and the date you started getting it. There will be a larger payment of backpay then the regular weekly pay.

Thanks PC, thats put my mind at rest smile

Ive just rang tax credits and they quite rudely told me that, it will still being processed and not to ring back for an update before 27th DECEMBER

Thats xmas screwed then sad

Nothing from carers allowance yet either.

gamerchick Fri 29-Nov-13 10:41:15

carers allowance will be sorted soon. remember to ring tax credits up straight away and tell them you're getting carers allowance and if you get housing benefit you also need to tell your council/HA you're getting carers allowance.

Will do gamerchick, thanks.

Apparently carers allowance people have now made their decision, and will be writing to me.

Why does that not fill me with delight ? I get the feeling they are going to say no, even though I know I should be entitled to it.

gamerchick Mon 02-Dec-13 10:19:25

I can't see how they would say no. Try not to worry about it.

I have been claiming ESA for myself, but i did explain in my application,. that I wouldn't be claiming that once I got carers, as I could then apply for IS.

Just wondering if thats cocked it up somehow.

They've just returned my wage-slips and P45 in the post along with a letter saying I will get another letter soon.

Just gonna have to be patient I suppose.

Sorry for going on about it. Just worried cos I am broke lol

gamerchick Mon 02-Dec-13 12:36:56

I have no idea on that one.. I've had no experience of ESA. I can't see why that would affect your current circumstances though.. If things change then you just tell them accordingly.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thank's for listening and responding to my ramblings gamerchick smile

"I have been claiming ESA for myself, but i did explain in my application,. that I wouldn't be claiming that once I got carers, as I could then apply for IS.

Just wondering if thats cocked it up somehow"

No, that can't have caused a problem. Getting CA entitles you to claim IS. Those are the eligibility rules and you aren't trying to fiddle the system by planning to do this, it's the way the system is suposed to work smile

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted soon for you.

SoonToBeSix Wed 04-Dec-13 00:06:08

Op you don't tell tax credits about carers until next April. I tried to and they are bit interested until then. You will get an increase in HB if you get carers.

Argh. I was right, I AM entitled to carers, but they can't actually pay me because I am (was) getting ESA or working for the time period from dd's dla claim to now.

They said to cancel my ESA claim (done) and then they can start paying me.

Means no backdated money, but hey ho, nothing I can do.

Just hope tax credits sort things before xmas now.

Tax credits have paid me grin

Thanks to all for listening to my moaning x

That's excellent. Good xmas then I hope

gamerchick Thu 05-Dec-13 08:06:39

Good news.

I can almost feel your relief grin

Yay. Time to start the Christmas shopping!

grin

Was nice to go and get all of the things i've been looking at for the past couple of weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now