Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SMT maternity pay - two jobs

(11 Posts)
k4mi Tue 26-Nov-13 20:00:20

Hello,

Not sure if I am in the right area here but hopefully...

I have two jobs, one is working for my own limited company (I am a Director and an employee paid PAYE alongside my husband) for which I work 16 hrs per week earning over the SMP threshold. For my second job I work 20hrs per week for my employer PAYE again earning over the threshold.

Does anyone know how I would go about claiming SMP? Both jobs will offer statutory allowance but I am not sure If I can claim on both? Also If I do would it be the first 6wks at 90% for BOTH jobs followed by the 33wks at SMP level paid once or twice??

Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks

whatshallwedo Thu 28-Nov-13 23:54:44

I had two jobs when I was pregnant and iirc I had to have two original MatB forms, one for each employer. I notified both that I was pregnant and they did the rest with HR/Head Office.

I also received 6 weeks (I think) 90% pay and 33 weeks at £130 something.

Just as long as your earnings during the qualifying period are enough to qualify for maternity pay in both jobs you are entitled to claim it smile

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 28-Nov-13 23:56:52

I would have thought you get both lots of 90% pay and one lot if SMP, as that seems logical...

KatherinaMinola Fri 29-Nov-13 00:01:05

Yes, you can claim both. I think you get exactly what you'd get if each job was your only job (so both lots of 90% and two lots of SMP), but check with your tax office.

whatshallwedo Fri 29-Nov-13 00:07:47

As long as you earn enough to qualify you most definitely get two lots of smp as they are treated as two separate claims.

I managed to take 13 months off thanks to previously working my pregnant arse off in two jobs (which I'd had for 4 years I wasn't tryinh to pull a fast one!)

TheDoctrineOfWho Fri 29-Nov-13 00:24:30

Wow!

holidaysarenice Fri 29-Nov-13 00:46:33

I'm not sure that's right. Otherwise two 16hr jobs would give twice a full time job.
I think its two lots at 90% and one lot of smp, as it is claimed by the employer from the govt.

The 6 weeks at 90% is also claimed from HMRC and if the 2 jobs are totally separate, you get 2 complete lots of pay for 39 weeks.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/spmmanual/spm20250.htm is the reference that covers it.

whatshallwedo Fri 29-Nov-13 18:00:39

It's correct as long as you work for two separate employers and earn enough during the qualifying period. I had to do 18 hours in my 2nd job to qualify as I was already full time elsewhere but luckily I was already contracted and working at least 18 hours.

Lonelybunny Sun 01-Dec-13 18:32:10

Yes you need two mat b 1 forms . I did this I had one job which was 35 hours a week and one 15 hours a week u can claim from both, don't let anyone tell you that you can't because you can . Enjoy smile

Lonelybunny Sun 01-Dec-13 18:33:31

I also had worked at both places for 7 years so I too didnt do it for the money , it's just lucky but not easy doing those hours when heavily pregnant but boy did I need the break

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now