Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does annual leave get added into SMP?

(8 Posts)
Kyrptonite Tue 26-Nov-13 00:09:48

My manager said that my annual leave. (5 days each term) is added into my SMP.
I had planned to take it all at once to give me another 2 weeks off to settle the baby at the childminder and have some time for me before going back. Apparently though I don't accrue annual leave.
Everything I've read online seems to go against this though!

Also, if anyone knows if my employer can say that I have to take my 5 days each term or loss them then I would appreciate it. I though holiday entitlement was a yearly thing and it couldn't be dictated when it is taken

LittleBearPad Tue 26-Nov-13 00:37:31

I accrued holiday whilst on mat leave. I think your boss is wrong.

BrianTheMole Tue 26-Nov-13 00:40:52

You do accrue annual leave. Your boss is wrong.

HumpdayPlus Tue 26-Nov-13 00:46:45

It accrues where I work.

holidaysarenice Tue 26-Nov-13 01:02:34

It does accrue but my nhs employer insisted that if ur were off over two leave years, the first was used before u left. Eg a leave year is april to april.

So a maternity nov to nov, the nov to april part had to be used before you left, with the nov to april part available on return.

Kyrptonite Tue 26-Nov-13 14:20:05

Thank you. We get 5 days a term if full time and 2.5 days if part time. Employer then insists it is used up during that term or we lose it. Is this legal? Its term time only work so my google searches about it haven't been too helpful!

HumpdayPlus Tue 26-Nov-13 16:35:23

Not sure, OP. is it in your contract like that? When I've worked for universities before it was in my contract that I could only take leave during uni holidays and it was up to me to make sure I fitted it all in (or I'd lose it). Use it or lose it is fairly common I think it not sure about termly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now