Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confusion on entitlement to benefits.

(9 Posts)
secondchances Mon 25-Nov-13 07:30:19

I work 24hrs a week as a carer, my rent comes out of my wages as I don't claim housing benefit. I have 1 child under the age of 16 so I get child benefit, child tax & working tax. My OH is 19 & just started doing a training course similar to college but based on construction. He only gets £10 a week from the training college. I tried doing many benefits calculators but its not exactly easily explained & my OH doesn't seem to be entitled to anything at all. Help?

why aren't you claiming housing benefit - that is the obvious thing

not sure what your OH's course is - could you supply a link? Has he tried asking the college about benefits? is it a full time course?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 25-Nov-13 08:58:40

If you're confused about what you can and can't claim, you and your partner may benefit from making an appointment with CAB.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 25-Nov-13 09:09:57

Try the 'entitled to' website, just google it.

Rockchick1984 Mon 25-Nov-13 10:12:52

If you live with your OH then you claim together, he wouldn't get anything just for him if that makes sense. What sort of course is he doing? If you haven't applied for housing benefit that would be the first thing to look at!

JuliaScurr Mon 25-Nov-13 10:19:33

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

try them smile

JuliaScurr Mon 25-Nov-13 10:20:02
vj32 Mon 25-Nov-13 10:21:55

Is he doing a pre-apprenticeship course?

bimbabirba Mon 25-Nov-13 18:49:49

What Rockchick said. If you're living together you are claiming as a couple (I hope!) in which case your OH is getting something. The only other obvious ones are council tax reduction and housing benefit. If your rent comes out of your wages you should still get hb if you're liable for rent. Your local Council should advise you further and if you want to be 100% sure about the other benefits then go to CAB in person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now