Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you change the way mat pay is spread out once it is started?

(4 Posts)
Bodicea Wed 20-Nov-13 17:06:03

Just realised I am going to go over the high rate tax threshold this year by about a grand . If I had altered the way my mat pay was paid I wouldn't have ( ie averaged over time I am off ) . Can you change it once it is started ? Has anyone ever done this ?

Bodicea Wed 20-Nov-13 17:08:00

Will also affect the amount of child care vouchers I can claim. However was thinking if I claim the full amount maybe I won't go over tax threshold? But not sure whether they work that out first or second.

Talkinpeace Wed 20-Nov-13 22:54:43

the formula is set in law - there is little you can do

ChasingSquirrels Thu 21-Nov-13 16:25:28

If it is statutory maternity pay you cant alter it.
If it is additional maternity payments over and above statutory that your employer makes out if the goodness of their heart, then you may be able to arrange a different payment timetable - they would need to agree to it.

If you can't rearrange it, and you make pension contributions, it might be worth increasing your contributions for the current year to bring you back to the basic rate threshold, you could then reduce them by the same amount next year if you dont want to put extra in overall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now