Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank payment query

(6 Posts)
NewChoos Tue 19-Nov-13 20:00:28

Not sure if anyone works in a bank?

Can someone make a payment to someone else with just a sort code and account number? And would the bank worker tell the paying in person the name of the account holder during the process?

Sounds cryptic I know. I am due some funds from a family member but do not want to tell them my married name if possible (long story!).

Talkinpeace Tue 19-Nov-13 20:02:35

all they need is sort code and account number
they can do it online
they need never know the name of the bank account

NewChoos Tue 19-Nov-13 20:06:54

Thanks for the reply. Not computer savvy so I think they will go in branch, I am worried the bank person will say (so you are paying this into NewChoos account?'
Is this likely to happen?

Talkinpeace Tue 19-Nov-13 20:28:53

Unlikely : unless they go to a branch of YOUR bank
eg if they are with Lloyds, you are with Barclays
they go to Lloyds, Lloyds will not be able to see the name on a Barclays account
If they go to a Barclays it might arise, but you can always pre empt it by telling Barclays that you are having some money paid in by family members who always know you by your maiden name (eg) so please do not confuse them.

I have different accounts in different names and its never been a problem.

lucidlady Tue 19-Nov-13 20:29:31

So long as they don't use a cheque it should be fine.

Rockchick1984 Wed 20-Nov-13 11:02:36

If the person is just taking in a sort code and account number the cashier may ask them to confirm the name on the account but shouldn't tell them what it is. Obviously if they say a different name the cashier will tell them it doesn't match, so would be up to your relative to decide what to do in the circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now