Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

WWYD? - Mortgage extension vs remortgage

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 14-Nov-13 18:37:31

I owe circa 7% of the value of my property on a repayment mortgage, the rate is a variable 2.5%, there are no penalties & it will be paid off by 2017. I want to do a fairly substantial bit of work to the house for which I'll need to borrow another 5% of the value. My lender is offering about 4.69% on new borrowing for existing customers

Choice 1. Keep the existing mortgage, pay it off by 2017, and borrow the remainder as a 10 year addition paid off by 2023. Means paying an extra £200-300/month for the first 4 years which will be tight-ish

Choice 2. Remortgage for the full 12% over a 10 year term. Reduces my monthly mortgage payment by £300.

Choice 3. Ideas welcome. smile

I'm pretty sure the maths favour Choice 1... lower interest rate on the existing mortgage, big drop in outgoings after 4 years when there may be other calls on my cash e.g uni fees. But Choice 2 is attractive because it means our monthly budget would be a lot less squeezed short term.

So WWYD? Appointment with the bank looms and, for once, I'm not sure what I want. Thanks in advance

"I'm pretty sure the maths favour Choice 1... lower interest rate on the existing mortgage, big drop in outgoings after 4 years when there may be other calls on my cash e.g uni fees. But Choice 2 is attractive because it means our monthly budget would be a lot less squeezed short term."

I guess it depends how important the next 4 years are to you. And for me a lot of that would depend on how old my kids were
- if you are still paying for expensive child care, then you want to minimise costs during this period
- if they are primary age and you don't have a lot of childcare costs, then I would take the pain over the next few years, knowing I would then be much more comfortable for those expensive teenage years.
- if they are teenagers, then I would probably want to spread the costs over the next 12 years

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 14-Nov-13 20:54:37

One teenager. Thanks.

Mum2Fergus Sat 16-Nov-13 10:18:20

Now Cog I would have come to you with this question! Lol in your circumstances Id think about option that will reduce monthly outgoings for timebeing...gift yourself a financial break for a while then get stuck back into it once DS (think I remember rightly its a DS you have, sorry if I'm wrong) starts to move towards independence xx

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 17-Nov-13 07:51:24

I'm increasingly reaching that conclusion Mum2Fergus. I think the (uncharacteristic smile ) wobbles are because I've been paying extra on the mortgage for quite some time and the finishing date was actually in sight. 2016/17 kissing good-bye to the banks... champagne ready etc! So putting that day off by a few years felt like a backward step IYKWIM but I think it makes the most sense if I want Cog Mansions properly upgraded. Thanks.

Mum2Fergus Sun 17-Nov-13 09:24:45

The wobble is perfectly understandable...you've worked so hard to get to where you are. Time to take your foot off the gas a wee bit xx

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 17-Nov-13 13:08:42

You're quite right. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now