Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is there any chance they'll consider my application?! Sure Start Maternity Grant

(6 Posts)
Sammie101 Thu 14-Nov-13 13:19:40

Hi all.

I got a letter last month saying that we were not entitled to the Sure Start Maternity Grant because we were not receiving tax credits. I phoned them up and they said when we get them to contact them. I did that and they sent a new application and said to provide a cover letter explaining that we were not then getting credits but as we are now would they reconsider our application.

They letter stated we had to conact them within one month of the date on the letter, 15/10/13.

Due to stressful circumstances I have only gotten round to writing the letter today, the last day is tomorrow! Sending it first class post so hopefully it gets there by tomorrow. But my worry is that if they do get it tomorrow they still won't reconsider my application as I've left it too late? What are my chances that they will reconsider our application even though they're receiving the letter on the very last date?

TIA!

SoonToBeSix Fri 15-Nov-13 03:13:47

A month is a month so it should be fine, how old is your baby because if the letter is delayed you have up to when your baby is 12 weeks to make a new claim.

bimbabirba Fri 15-Nov-13 14:11:24

You should be fine if you've written back within the time limit

Sammie101 Fri 15-Nov-13 19:38:13

My baby is 3 months 2 weeks, so I couldn't put a new application in hmm I just really hope we get it, I'd like to be able to get her a nice new pram when she's a little older, and a high chair too!

I'm also just annoyed that anything important I ALWAYS put off! I was exactly the same with applying for tax credits hmm

Thank you for the replies smile

Hi, you only get it if you get tge disability element of tax credits so not sure it will still apply fir you ??

Sammie101 Sat 16-Nov-13 10:16:15

As far as I'm aware you have to be claiming tax credits above family element and/OR be claiming disability benefit? I hope so anyway, friends who have applied for it couldn't get it because their tax credits were below the family element!

Well even if we don't get it, at least we tried!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now