Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Locating an old closed account

(5 Posts)
Macey78 Wed 13-Nov-13 19:44:55

Dh had an account in the 90's which he later closed however he needs to be able to locate a payment he made to someone by cheque as there now saying he didn't pay it. At the time he didn't get anything in writing that he paid.
He went to Barclays ( as he was with woolwich) they say they could only go back 7 years. Does anyone know if there is any other way please.
Any suggestions welcome

MinesAPintOfTea Wed 13-Nov-13 19:56:44

The reason they don't keep records beyond 7 years is that that is the limit on chasing debts (unless the government is involved). So whoever it is shouldn't have recourse to the courts.

No old cheque book subs? My statements don't say who a cheque went to anyway.

Macey78 Wed 13-Nov-13 20:11:37

Thanks for the reply...I suppose the the story is a bit more complicated as dp bought his house 22 years ago with an ex they split 18 months later, he gave her £4.5k and she asks that she was happy with that he should have got something in writing but didn't says he had health issues at the time.

Dp then tried to get the house transferred to his name a few years later and letters from solicitors show they were writing to her a year then the solicitors closed and he didn't follow it up.

Now we want to move and she says that she bought it with dp as an investment! Though has not had anything to do with it since she left. Apologies for long reply

specialsubject Wed 13-Nov-13 21:15:48

if she is still named on the deeds he has a problem, I'm afraid.

to the solicitor.

Macey78 Wed 13-Nov-13 22:09:00

Yes it seems that way said she's getting legal advice. just feels like our lives have been put on hold whilst she can still live her life!!! I think dp has learnt a big lesson. Anticipating that this could take months hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now