Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

charity shop baby clothes

(37 Posts)
newbymummy83 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:20:22

My husband is an only child and has no cousins. Our baby will be the first grandchild in both out families.

My MIL is not short of money by any means and is often jet setting off around the world. Drives a new car etc.

She knows I love a bit of upcycling,Kirsty Alsop style for both clothes and homewear. However, I draw the line at charity shop baby clothes. Esp when you can get a bit pack of baby grows etc in supermarkets for very little money.

I now have two carrier bags full of new born baby grows that she has bought in charity shops. She hasn't bought one single item as new.

I don't know how to tell her I don't want them. She just keeps bringing them. My husband thinks it's gross too but won't say anything.

Should I tell her?

Tableforfour Wed 13-Nov-13 21:55:24

Would you accept things second hand from a friend? How is a charity shop different. I can't imagine how much I've saved by getting clothes second hand, hundreds if pounds I'm sure. I think you're mad, sorry.

Oly4 Fri 15-Nov-13 17:43:28

I think you're all being incredibly harsh. When I had my first baby, I wanted all new babygros and enjoyed the process of buying them. I have gratefully accepted hand me downs since then and given plenty myself. But the op should be able to do what she wants at this special time.
Give the babygros to a charity shop or women's refuge (excellent idea). Then you won't hurt your
MILs feelings. Tell her thanks but you have more than enough now.

treaclesoda Fri 15-Nov-13 17:55:32

No one is saying that she shouldn't be allowed to do what she wants for her first baby, its just that if she normally enjoys searching for things in charity shops, its not a surprise that her MIL might think she has done a nice thing by doing the same for her. To then be accused of being a cheapskate or whatever is just a bit, well, harsh. Also, the comment about second hand clothes for a baby being gross was pretty offensive, although the OP has since backtracked a bit on that.

lilmissmummy1 Fri 15-Nov-13 18:22:16

If you don't want them, don't use them. It's your baby and don't let anyone bash you for your decisions.

If you'd rather not tell her, just donate them to another charity shop!smile

lilmissmummy1 Fri 15-Nov-13 18:23:08

To be honest, if she has loads of money then she's being a bit stingy shopping in charity shops for her grandchilds clothes!wink

Preciousbane Sat 16-Nov-13 18:38:32

Babies fit in to stuff for a few weeks, it is a monumental waste of money buying everything new for tiddlers. You say MIL is well off, she probably is because she has done things like this.

Pass to your local women's refuge preferably or to the charity shop of your choice if you really won't use them.

lljkk Sat 16-Nov-13 18:56:39

I do think OP's DH must tell his mum if they are wasted purchases and entirely up to OP what she feels comfortable with, but..

(Slacker alert).
I'd buy undies in a charity shop if they fit & I was in need. I've bought swim suits there & still wearing happily. My washing machine works fine.

Maybe the reason the MIL has so much dosh is because over the yrs she didn't turn her nose up at perfectly good pre-owned stuff, watch the pennies & the pounds will watch themselves, all that.

cantheyseeme Sat 16-Nov-13 19:05:53

I agree with OP! I would buy outfits and coats etc from a charity shop for dcs but not babygrows i think simply for the fact they are probably the same price brand new in tesco in multipacks etc. Im not snobby at all when it comes to charity shops and hand me downs just seems a bit daft hmm

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Nov-13 19:13:15

I think that you are in a very lucky position to be able to turn your nose up at charity shop clothes for baby.

They are just fine - run them through a wash and hang on a line to dry.If you have a sicky baby you may be glad of them.DD2 went through up to 5 complete clothes and bedding changes A DAY!

You can get thicker,warmer and better quality stuff 2nd hand than you can for the same price new in a supermarket.

Babies don't care what they're wearing so long as they are warm,comfortable and dry.

And it's so much better for the environment to recycle clothes that are,after all,only worn for a few weeks.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Nov-13 19:15:54

I agree with lljkk.

It doesn't matter what the item of clothing is.Even swimwear,pj bottoms,or,yes,underwear.
Once they've gone through the washing machine they're clean.That's the point of washing machines.

weebarra Sat 16-Nov-13 19:17:04

I buy lots of clothes for the DCs from charity shops. Having just had DD after two DSs, we were innundated with baby girl clothes, many of which were just worn once or twice. Whoever picks them up when I've donated them will be getting real bargains.

wonkylegs Sat 16-Nov-13 19:23:54

I bought loads of stuff for DS in charity shops when he was a baby 75% of the newborn stuff had never been worn.
Even if it had, so what - I presume that they've been washed and you will wash them.
Washing is an amazing process, if you haven't come across it before - it gets rid of all the gross stuff and then the clothes come out clean! Very clever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now