Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit self employed dh lost job

(7 Posts)
Lutonlou Wed 06-Nov-13 13:31:37

I am sham with 4 dc 6,5,3,2 my husband was self employed until 30 oct he has lost his job and as self employed not entitled to unemployment benefits if we advise immediately of lost job will we lose both child tax credit or just working tax credit or both . ? We are surviving are tax credits at min . Dh is actively looking for work and hope to get fix up soon with job not sure what's best whether to wait for new job to advise or advise now and risk all payments stop and no money coming in. Worried sick thanks for help

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 06-Nov-13 14:54:24

I am a little confused has he lost a contract? If you are self employed you don't have a job. If he has lost a contract unfortunately this is a risk of being self employed.

Lutonlou Wed 06-Nov-13 15:12:20

He was self employed company the company has been dissolved I.e gone bust so no more job or wages currently looking for new work.

Rockchick1984 Wed 06-Nov-13 15:24:51

Notify them - if you're not working either then you should qualify for income based JSA, and high levels of child tax credits. Possibly also housing benefit.

HeeHiles Wed 06-Nov-13 15:27:41

Do you know who your local MP is? They should be able to tell you what you are entitled to - Or speak to Citizens Advice Bureau.

You get a 4 week run on from the date your partner stopped working before the wtc ends, let them know straightaway and again as soon as he starts again.

You will still be entitled to CTC, tempting as it is, don't give a reduced estimate of this years income unless you are absolutely certain if the amount for the whole year as this causes loads of overpayments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now