Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone reclaimed their packaged bank account fees?

(6 Posts)
SirRaymondClench Tue 05-Nov-13 09:41:15

I posted this in Credit Crunch but then saw this bit and thought it might be better:
Martin Lewis was saying they are reclaimable (you know the insurance policies you don't really need for £12 a month for your bank account)
I know people are phoning their banks and getting the money back but wondered if anyone on here had done it?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Nov-13 14:42:02

Aren't they only reclaimable if they were missold? I deliberately chose a packaged bank account because the monthly fee was cheaper than buying annual travel insurance separately. I don't think I could legitimately claim the fees back

Mum2Fergus Tue 05-Nov-13 15:52:28

Same here Cog...ac costs me £2.50pm but gives free annual, family, worldwide travel insurance. If you take advantage of one of the benefits I think that would negate your claim for having been mis-sold.

SirRaymondClench Tue 05-Nov-13 19:12:03

I was definitely missold mine. I was pushed into this account (just wanted a basic one) and they told me this was pretty much the only one avail to me and it would be good for my credit rating (I know, can't believe I fell for that crap but they are a bank, so why would they lie?)
They said that the car breakdown (already had a policy elsewhere) and other policies were just a benefit of the account, a bit like when you get a piggy bank when you have a bank account for kids.
I had house insurance and travel and mobile phone insurance with other companies at the time and in any case they didn't check whether any of these were suitable for me.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Nov-13 05:56:52

I suppose it's worth a shot. The pushy sales tactics sound bad, but didn't you check the terms and conditions of the account were suitable for you? My bank sent me quite a large booklet of all the package benefits shortly after opening it.

hermioneweasley Fri 08-Nov-13 14:12:35

Usually there is an organised process when "misselling" has been found to have taken place by the regulator. Your bank will write to you and tell you what to do next. I don't think you'll get very far by phoning up and claiming you were mis-sold to, but worth a try I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now