Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Teenager wants a job

(5 Posts)
mrsmitch01 Mon 04-Nov-13 07:36:40

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help. My 15 year old daughter has been offered a job at a florists. It's only a Saturday job but we would like to know how it will affect our benefits if at all. Me and my husband get income support and he gets incapacity benefit(in old benefits terms, now employment support allowance!!). Do we need to declare this to the DWP?? Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks xxx Emma x

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Nov-13 07:43:33

To be on the safe side, declare any changes to household income to the DWP. I would be very surprised if a teenager's Saturday job made any difference.

A child's part-time earnings do not affect their parents' benefits if the child is in full time education and do not have to be notified to DWP, your local council etc.

Your daughter (and well done to her for lining up the job! ) may need a work permit, it depends on your local council, see https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/local-council-rules-for-child-employment-permits

mrsmitch01 Mon 04-Nov-13 17:31:23

Hi guys. Just thought I'd give you an update. We have spoken to DWP today and they said its fine as long as she is still in full time education. We don't need to declare it. It's better to check to be on the safe side. Thanks for your replies xx x

Ge0rgina Thu 07-Nov-13 12:01:27

I don't think a Saturday job should make any difference at all. She is being paid cash, right??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now