Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone switched gas and eleccy for fixed rate tariff

(10 Posts)
Willthisworknow Sat 02-Nov-13 16:26:06

Am I paying over the odds? Combo eleccy and gas is £240 per month? Anyone paying this much? If you switched, were u happy with new supplier?

I wouldnt compare monthly payments but what your actual gas/electric usage was. I am in the process of switching to the EDF April 2015 fixed rate that has no tie in period so no charge for leaving the tariff. Have never been with EDF before so hope it will all go smoothly. Was with NPower before that and havent had issues with them either even when they wanted to increase my monthly payment - I called them and after a discussion they agreed to leave the payment as it was.

I was paying £145 per month and my expected usage next year was 5251kWh for electric and 17681kWh for gas.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 02-Nov-13 20:03:16

£240/month shock Exactly how big a castle are you living in?!! I switched to a fixed to 2015 tariff with my existing supplier NPower. Biggish house, home all day, usual appliances and it's £135/month

Mum2Fergus Sat 02-Nov-13 20:59:01

Jeezy peeps, can hardly believe some of these costs! We're £73pm for gas and electric combined...on a Fixed deal til Apr14 with Scottish Power/Gas.

what sort of house are you in though? We are in a 4 bed detached house in Scotland - £145 per month

Mum2Fergus Sat 02-Nov-13 21:42:23

2 bed semi Scotland here.

thats why your bill is cheaper then

specialsubject Sat 02-Nov-13 23:25:03

as others note, first thing is to get actual figures of what you use, then get on the switching sites.

but sounds like you are using vast amounts. You'll need to find out why and reduce it.

Willthisworknow Sun 03-Nov-13 12:04:42

Hi

We gave a 5 bed detached in Scotland (the rooms are not huge though). Our fire, heating and cooker is gas. The rest is eleccy. Though we do have a tumble drier and 3 kids - so does contribute to the usage. Though I do think we could be getting a better deal by the sounds of it.

get your actual usage in kWh and run it through price comparison websites e.g. moneysupermarket, confused, gocompare, etc and see if you can save. The cheapest deals tend to be ones where you have dual fuel with monthly direct debit and run the account online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now