Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone had a new boiler fitted under the grant scheme

(56 Posts)
RedHelenB Sat 02-Nov-13 15:59:18

And what choice in boiler do you get?

I have had the leaflet so am also interested in what we can have.

NorthernShores Sat 02-Nov-13 16:01:51

Ooh what scheme's that?

RedHelenB Sat 02-Nov-13 16:08:38

If you are on a low income you qualify for a new boiler grant (income below £15,000 approx)

RedHelenB Sat 02-Nov-13 16:09:18

Who was your leaflet from missnevermind?

NorthernShores Sat 02-Nov-13 16:14:58

We're low income. Are there any links?

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/green-deal - is it anything to do with the green deal scheme?

specialsubject Sat 02-Nov-13 23:22:45

if you aren't on benefits or tax credits forget the green deal. I looked into it for an oil boiler. The hoops went:

- get new energy performance certificate (£50 plus, even though current one valid)
- get quote from a green deal supplier (who will charge a lot more)
- get work done
- apply for about £100 cash back, IF there's anything left from the fund and IF it is approved.

there probably would be something left in the fund, I read words to the effect that TWELVE households have taken it up. Wonder why?

and if you have a green deal charge on a property, it will be very hard to sell.

utter greenwash.

NorthernShores Sun 03-Nov-13 07:52:32

Ah thanks. We have electric heating and want to change over. Dad would probably help out if the boiler was paid for. We've had an energy certificate done and it seems we score really low due to electric heating. However when I looked at link above it seems they'll provide a boiler to replace an old one but not to replace electrics.

Thanks for help though.

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 08:31:43

Mine's being fitted on Monday.

It was no hassle at all to apply. A man came round to look at it then took copies of my WTC forms and tenancy agreement, then just filled one form in. He sent it all off.

Plumper and surveyor came round 2 weeks later to do their survey and stuff. That was last Monday. Their office called the next day to say they are coming to do it this Monday.

My LL had to pay a premium of £459 because I have an old style boiler with a separate water tank and they are only doing combis so I have to have an 'upgrade' rather than a standard replacement. Would have been completely free otherwise.

I'm so excited! My old boiler is ancient. I have to reset it at least twice a week through the winter and it breaks down completely at least twice a year. Plus I have no thermostat so it costs a fortune to run.

New one will be a standard combi with a proper thermostat control and everything!

RedHelenB Sun 03-Nov-13 10:47:41

Is that the scheme in general only doing combis or that particular fitter Randall?

Sidge Sun 03-Nov-13 11:08:36

I had a new gas condensing boiler fitted two weeks ago in my rented house under the green scheme - it was really straightforward.

No choice of boiler make or model but it's a very efficient boiler made by GlowWorm for British Gas.

Hoping to see my bills come down now!

Sidge Sun 03-Nov-13 11:10:26

That's interesting Randall the old boiler in my house was gas with separate water tank but we didn't need to change to a combi. Just had a new boiler, control panel and thermostat.

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 11:11:46

I don't know tbh.

It was the plumber that came to fix it last time it broke down that suggested the scheme. A guy then came to look at it but said we wouldn't be able to have it done as they 'aren't doing those systems'.

Then he spoke to someone and said that they could do it but it would be classed as an upgrade so my LL would have to pay a premium rather than it being totally free.

I can ask them tomorrow if you like?

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 11:20:44

I've found this, there's some numbers to ring to find out if you qualify.

-

Energy providers' freebies used to focus on free loft and cavity wall insulation. Now four out of the big six are giving away boilers to those in certain groups as well.
WHAT CAN YOU GET?

A new boiler typically costs £2,300, according to the Energy Saving Trust, so this is a fabulous freebie. If your boiler is not an inefficient model, just broken, you may be offered a repair, rather than a new boiler.

The offer includes fitting, though there may be an extra cost if it needs to carry out extra work, for example, if the work means additional radiators or if the boiler needs moving to another location. You should be told about this beforehand.
WHO CAN GET THIS?

You are likely to qualify if:
You get tax credits and have a household income of less than £15,860 OR
You receive income-based benefits, such as pension credit or income support, and you’ve either, children, a disabled person in the household or are over 60.
You won't be able to get a free boiler if you live in a housing association property or are a council tenant. The idea is they will arrange to do this for you though their own schemes.

The criteria are complex, so a quick way to check if you qualify is to call the Energy Saving Advice Service and answer a few basic questions on 0300 123 1234 (England), 0800 512 012 (Wales) or 0808 808 22 82 (Scotland). Also see providers' criteria in How to get it.

WHAT KIND OF BOILER DO YOU NEED TO HAVE?

In a nutshell, to be eligible, you need to have a broken or inefficient boiler. If you've a new-ish, working A or B rated boiler, it probably won't qualify.

This is decided on a case-by-case basis through a free inspection. The providers say it's based on a number of factors, including the boiler's efficiency, age and condition. SSE says: "If the boiler was installed more than seven years ago, it's likely to be inefficient."

The energy companies will usually just replace gas boilers, not oil. Sadly, if you don't have a boiler already, you can't get a new system installed.

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 11:23:24

X-post.

Must just be the people my LL is using that don't do condensing ones then.
(I'm not telling her though, she's paid for it now and I can't wait to have hot water!)

farrowandbawl Sun 03-Nov-13 11:32:54

We had it a few years ago and it was the worst thing we ever did.

They ruined the carpets taking the hot water tank out, they didn't give us the boiler they promised, not only was it a shit make but it was designed for a 1 bed flat, not a 3 bed semi so wasn't powerful enough. The broke the stop cock which I had to pay to be replaced, they made such a bodge job of fitting it together when I had it checked over with British Gas after I kept getting headaches, it was condemmed and cut off instantly and was told that by rights, it should have either cut out or blown up by now.

I spent months complaining, even grabbed the guy in the street when I saw him only to be brushed off with poor excuses and no real answers, the complaints number had that may messages left on it it was no longer accepting them...

I will NEVER recomend that scheme to anyone. Soon afterwards, it was featured on WATCHDOG for being so useless and dangerous and ripping the customers off saying that they had to pay when that wasn't the case at all.

Steer clear adn save up for one yourself, beg steal and borrow if you have to - just don't use the scheme.

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 11:40:29

Which company did you use Farrow?

farrowandbawl Sun 03-Nov-13 11:42:25

I'll have to get the papaerwork out but I'll let you know when I find it.

I can see the logo and I know that has changed but the company is still going.

farrowandbawl Sun 03-Nov-13 11:43:45

Warmfront.

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 11:46:10

Phew, don't think that's the one we're using. You had me panicked for a minute!

What a nightmare for you, can't believe they're not out of business now if watchdog had them on. That's really scary.

farrowandbawl Sun 03-Nov-13 11:48:05

Sorry, that was the name of the scheme...

The installers had a chameleon as part of the logo.

farrowandbawl Sun 03-Nov-13 11:50:44

Watchdog was questioning the entire scheme, not just the installers!

RandallFloyd Sun 03-Nov-13 12:14:40

Ah I see.

Different scheme. The Warmfront scheme ended on January this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now