Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, NOW x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Taking out Life insurance for a parent

(9 Posts)
calamityjane Fri 01-Nov-13 13:36:25

Hi all, don't know if this is possible, so before I contact Insurance companies and make a prat of myself (wouldn't be the 1st time!!) I was wondering if it is possible to take out life insurance for my dm.

She is in her 80's and I don't think she has made any provision for her funeral!! I don't want to be left with having to pay for it when the inevitable happens, so has anyone else done this or know if it is possible?

I suppose I could set up a savings account instead if this isn't possible

TIA

RedHelenB Fri 01-Nov-13 14:24:03

What's that advert that's always on telly with Michael Parkinson - tey that!

RedHelenB Fri 01-Nov-13 14:24:26

Over 50's plan I think it is called.

You could, but with a lot of these things there is a period during which you may not get out as much as you have put in. So... forgive my pointing out the obvious, if she is already in her 80's then statistically there is going to be a risk that by the time the inevitable happens, you may not have paid enough into the scheme for it to be worth having.

You'd need to look into the figures carefully to guess if a savings plan would be a better risk.

BrianTheMole Fri 01-Nov-13 14:31:46

You can pay into a funeral plan.

calamityjane Fri 01-Nov-13 16:15:59

amuminscotland that thought had crossed my mind too! Although her mum was in her 90's when she died and my auntie (dm sister) is in her 90's! Dm is in good health at the moment, very robust! Will look into the small print carefully.

Brianthemole do you know of these type of plans? Are they with the undertakers directly?

Thanks for answering, now I know it's possible I can look properly into it.

Many thanks

LadyKooKoo Fri 01-Nov-13 16:55:42

Have a look at Dignity. They don't have an upper age limit.

BrianTheMole Fri 01-Nov-13 18:50:11

Brianthemole do you know of these type of plans? Are they with the undertakers directly?

Yes they are. Well the ones I have seen are anyway.

bestadviceprotection Mon 04-Nov-13 15:56:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now