Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If a family member wanted to leave a large amount of money...

(27 Posts)
Jill1320 Wed 30-Oct-13 14:58:56

...to your children (and not you) - is there anything you would want to say/do about it?

Apart from the obvious THANK YOU grin

I have some concerns about the children inheriting large amounts of money without any regulation from dh and I. Dh and I have a friend who inherited £20,000 aged 19yrs. By 20yrs old it was all gone. This is a lot more money than that.

With any luck this won't be for at least 20yrs (dc will be in their late 20s).

The family member in question has asked for our input btw, not being a money grubbing death watcher.

It goes without saying we'd like to keep this family member around for as long as possible. They are fab.

Dededum Thu 07-Nov-13 17:07:35

My parents have set up stakeholder pensions for the kids - they put £3000 in every year.

pippop1 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:50:38

Can some kind of bond be bought with it with a maturity date of when they are 21. Something that cannot be touched until then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now