Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Turned down for a mortgage? Others experiences?

(4 Posts)
thinkofthemoney Tue 29-Oct-13 20:51:15

I've also posted in property before realising this topic existed.
I know it's not the end of the world but I'm devastated. I have just been turned down for a mortgage due to high levels of credit card debt.
The debt is £29000, accrued paying for a professional degree (now qualified 5 years and paying it off).
I have £80k of equity in my house so will be paying the debt off with the equity.
I want to borrow £149k on a salary of £41k. I will be putting down a deposit of £51k.
I checked my credit report last month and was rated as good. Around that time I transferred one of my credit cards to another provider. Ive just rechecked my credit report and it has dropped by 100 points to fair. It is showing the credit card I moved as being with both the old and new provider, suggesting I have more debt than I do and that my debt has gone up (when it hasn't).
My broker has today submitted a mortgage application to a different lender with whom I had a decision in principle whilst my credit rating was good.
Does anyone have any idea what my chances are or any tips on what I can do?

If you have just trasnferred a card, it was hopefully to a 0% rate?

If the new application doesn't work, one thing you could do is apply for say 139k and not clear 10k of your cheapest credit card debt. That takes your equity to over 30%.

thinkofthemoney Tue 29-Oct-13 22:08:04

Yes it was to 0%. Good tip about the equity thanks.

losingtrust Sat 02-Nov-13 18:08:09

Have you tried Nat West? They seem to be more reasonable than most although if you credt rating is good rather than excellent, have you missed any payments? This will have a negative impact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now