Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it too early to buy items?

(17 Posts)
nicx240187 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:26:41

Me and hubby are ttc. There is a dilemma I have.

Going to sound really silly but. We have decided which pram ect we want.

The specific one has just been discontinued and is going for a bargain price anyway. Then kiddiecare now have 15% off this week and quidco cashback is up to 7.5% cashback.

I know I might not be pregnant yet (on 2ww) and yes I am aware of all the things that can happen anyway,
But me an hubby have just got new job stability and a bonus this month at work so there is the extra money to make a big ish purchase like this.

Is it silly of me to even be thinking of buying this now? Btw myself and my mum have large loft space so it can be up thee till whenever.

LIZS Sat 26-Oct-13 11:29:42

Bank the money and wait . There will be new colours and models launched by the time your future baby needs equipment, offers may even improve so you may well regret buying now.

Icepilot Sat 26-Oct-13 11:29:47

I'd just buy it. I wasn't superstitious. My Xfil was horrified at me purchasing stuff early. Why? Because if I had a miscarriage having an unused pram would be more of a tragedy?..

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Oct-13 11:42:13

I'm not superstitious but I still think you should wait. You are bound to see something else you like in the next year.

It's nice shopping for things for your baby when you are pregnant, it's part of the excitement and preparation.

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 26-Oct-13 11:44:25

I'd wait too. There are always discounts available.

RandomMess Sat 26-Oct-13 11:47:36

My huge advice would be wait and buy a pram 2nd hand locally anyway!! What if you coneive twins wink

Mum2Fergus Sat 26-Oct-13 12:09:00

Bank the money and buy later.

Harrin Sat 26-Oct-13 12:09:57

I'd wait simply because if it was faulty etc it'd be harder to rectify the situation after so long I'd imagine

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 26-Oct-13 13:55:13

Yes it's too early. Bank the extra money and build up your savings because the pram is a drop in the ocean of the cost of raising a child.

bimbabirba Sat 26-Oct-13 15:39:55

Definitely wait. Kiddicare ask for your due date and give you one year warranty from then. What date would you give? smile

LittleTulip Sat 26-Oct-13 19:51:19

I would wait too.

Also if you will probably want something different once you really start looking

specialsubject Sun 27-Oct-13 16:36:30

it's not the timing - but why spend a fortune on a pram or pushchair? They go for peanuts on ebay and are not a safety-critical item.

yes, many bigger costs to come but money is never for wasting.

good luck.

MrsCaptainJackSparrow Tue 29-Oct-13 11:15:16

Kiddicare always have their discount days. I brought all of my baby stuff really early in and wish I'd waited for some of it as better deals came up. Put the money in a separate account and watch the sales.

MirandaWest Tue 29-Oct-13 11:27:59

I wouldn't buy it yet. You're not pregnant. Hopefully you will get pregnant soon. There will still be prams to buy and there may be an even better pram for you.

Tableforfour Wed 30-Oct-13 19:51:23

Too early to buy anything before the 13 week scan, in my opinion.these discounts come along all the time, especially kiddicare.

nicx240187 Thu 31-Oct-13 08:54:27

Thank you for your opinions smile

Sleepyhoglet Fri 01-Nov-13 22:22:13

Not pushchair, but you could buy smaller items like clothes etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now