Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PAYE negative amount. Tax back?

(12 Posts)
JustAnotherFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 14:55:36

Yep - its definitely yours to spend as you please grin

mikkii Sat 26-Oct-13 00:41:28

Under PAYE you are entitled to one twelfth of your tax free allowances each month. You haven't worked since July so have 3 months of tax free allowance this month.

RetroHippy Sat 26-Oct-13 00:27:56

Cheers all round Willow!

It's been a tough few months.

willow777 Fri 25-Oct-13 23:51:32

Oh and hurrah for the Supply Placement Fairy too! smile

RetroHippy Fri 25-Oct-13 21:43:43

I don't have a spare three days to wait on hold Juggling!

Ok, I do, but I don't want to grin.

I'll risk it and spend it all on fun stuff like diesel and potatoes. Thank you tax fairy!

JugglingChaotically Fri 25-Oct-13 21:35:20

Sounds like a tax refund to me. Call. HMRC. They will tell you!

willow777 Fri 25-Oct-13 21:20:04

Hurrah! The tax fairy arries in the nick of time!! Just after my car dramatically failed its MOT :D

RetroHippy Fri 25-Oct-13 21:14:24

Willow, yey! We had pretty much reached the point where it was going to be a struggle to fill up the car to get to the next job.

I've just got a long term placement starting after half term, but this has meant the next three weeks will be a lot easier! Huge relief grin.

Hurrah for surprise tax!

RetroHippy Fri 25-Oct-13 21:09:16

Just checked, my tax code is 944L, it says tax period 29 and pay periods 4.

I have been paid previously this tax year, but not since the end of July.

The umbrella company that pays me do weird things. I'm usually ok with wages but I've never been able to make head or tail of these.

willow777 Fri 25-Oct-13 21:09:05

Same here!! Thought i was only getting one days pay smile

JustAnotherFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 20:52:27

Yes probably! What tax code have they used - or more importantly, does it have a week/month 1 indicator after the actual code?

RetroHippy Fri 25-Oct-13 20:50:53

Just been paid after not working for a while (supply teacher). I've been paid a lot more than expected, still not big bucks but it will certainly ease things. I thought I might be owed a bit if tax back, so I'm assuming its that, but wanted to check before I spend it!

On my payslip the extra is written under deductions as PAYE -£xxx. I've not paid any NI this week either, but I think that's because the actual amount I earned wasn't much. Does it sound likely that it is the tax as I suspect?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now